The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Yay! Repeating actions! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
To get all GTD on you AmberV (in a good natured kind of way) if you are really doing something that trivial and mundane, it probably doesn't belong in your GTD system. :)

BZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberV
There are people who do not need 80,000 emails and several hundred "buy milk" actions, and there are people that do.
Heh. I'm one of those who DO. I need to have my 4 or 5 daily repeating tasks in front of me in a Next Action checklist, things like "check tickler," otherwise I get involved in more expansive projects and forget to do my daily maintenance. Eventually all Hell breaks loose and I wind up cold, naked and lonely wandering the sewers of Paris.

That said, wouldn't it be cool to have "disolving" tasks that don't get archived when they get checked off?

Also, I'm hoping that repeating tasks will eventually have some of the following options:
1) Repeat every weekday (ie for checking the backup tapes at work)
2) Repeat on the 5th of every month (for making car payments)
3) Re-do 30 days after completion (for flea-treating the dogs)
4) Repeat every other Tuesday (for our small group Bible study)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwanaZulia
To get all GTD on you AmberV (in a good natured kind of way) if you are really doing something that trivial and mundane, it probably doesn't belong in your GTD system. :)
Bwana, you may not need reminders of mundane tasks, but some of us do!

Most of my work is mundane repeating tasks (I'm a housewife), and trust me, I need reminders to mop the floor, change the sheets and defrost the freezer!

But like Amber, I don't need a record of when I changed those sheets.

In KGTD, I'd periodically delete my old tasks. But it would be very nice to have a checkbox, "Don't keep old copy".

--Liz

OK, repeating actions seem a little buggy, at least in Context View.

They don't seem to "check off." What's happening is that as soon as you check them, they reappear in the view.

It would be nice if you had a visual cue (ie a checkmark) and then the action would stay hidden until the next calendar day.

I know, I'm never satisfied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Rye
OK, repeating actions seem a little buggy, at least in Context View.

They don't seem to "check off." What's happening is that as soon as you check them, they reappear in the view.

It would be nice if you had a visual cue (ie a checkmark) and then the action would stay hidden until the next calendar day.

I know, I'm never satisfied.
Would a start date help this?

And it appears that having a daily repeating action at the top of a Project list prevents any subsequent action from becoming the Next Action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
Would a start date help this?
Yes! Having a start date makes the item disappear off the list in Context View. Thanks.

But the second item down on the list still won't become a next action if the Project List is set up as a series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizPf
Bwana, you may not need reminders of mundane tasks, but some of us do!

Most of my work is mundane repeating tasks (I'm a housewife), and trust me, I need reminders to mop the floor, change the sheets and defrost the freezer!

But like Amber, I don't need a record of when I changed those sheets.

In KGTD, I'd periodically delete my old tasks. But it would be very nice to have a checkbox, "Don't keep old copy".

--Liz
First of all, I was kidding. I have some VERY mundane tasks in my kGTD but again, I don't want OF to try to figure out which are Mundane and which are not and not keep the history.

Actually, maybe that is a good compromise. Daily repeating tasks don't archive will anything weekly or above does?

Maybe just an option in the inspector for the task as well (check box, archive task).

BZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwanaZulia
Actually, maybe that is a good compromise. Daily repeating tasks don't archive will anything weekly or above does?

Maybe just an option in the inspector for the task as well (check box, archive task).
I think we need smileys on the list so I can tell when you're joking. No hu-hu.

1. not for me ... I have enough long period repeaters that they'd take over my archive.

B. This is what i was thinking ... a checkbox in the Repeating Inspector.

Oh,

Thank You, Omni Team!

--Liz

Well an option is all I was asking for in the first place! :)

Edit: Hmm, what about Option-clicking the check box to have it alter the due dates and completion status in place, and regular clicking to generate a duplicate for records? Or even the other way around might be better for most (just how many archivists versus streamers do we have?). That way you could choose to record a duplicate if there were some relevant notes this time around that you'd like to save.

Last edited by AmberV; 2007-06-08 at 09:54 AM..