The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Confused by Leveling Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am trying to use OmniPlan as a basic planning (not tracking) tool and it is really making things difficult.

I have a project outlined with numerous tasks, their efforts and durations, appropriate resources assigned, etc. I have also set the start dates to be LOCKED for those things that I know are in the past (ie. already underway).

Give this setup, I add a new task that needs to be completed. I assign resources and ask Omniplan to re-level things. I expect it to move the new task into a spot where it fits with resource allocations, etc. I do NOT expect anything else to happen, since nothing else has changed.

Instead, Omniplan moves the start date for nearly all of my in-progress tasks up by a few days. This, despite the fact that their start dates are locked.

The behavior seems to have something to do with the completion percentages assigned to the various tasks.

Why, oh why, is Omniplan moving things whose start date is locked? If it thinks they are behind schedule it should give me a warning of some sort. It should NOT blithely move them around on me.

Is there something I don't understand here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffmcc
Is there something I don't understand here?
Nope, you're doing everything right cliffmcc, a locked task should never move during leveling. What you're seeing is a bug that we need to address. Normally, a locked task shouldn't move during leveling but there's an issue in OmniPlan where if you use "don't schedule any task before date", it moves the locked tasks too.

We're looking into this issue and hope to have it resolved ASAP. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks, I thought I was going crazy. I'm glad (?) to hear it's a bug and I'm very eager for a fix. Right now, I essentially cannot use Omniplan.

I'll try to work around this issue by forcing dependency links between everything so I can avoid using the "don't schedule before" checkbox in leveling.

Please let me know when you have a fix available.