The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iGTD on par with KGTD Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Speaks volumes about the level of built up interest here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyW
Speaks volumes about the level of built up interest here.
If that doesn't push out the beta release, I don't know what will.

Tried iGTD and while the UI looks sleek, I feel that actiontastic in its more elementary ways provides more flexibility than iGTD. But the feature I like the best is the inbox processing mode. Not quite as good as Inbox's, but then, that's all that was good about Inbox.

I'm not sure if I'm a GTD purist, but it seems that no programme out there helps you implement GTP principles more closely as kGTD does, but it is so damn slow. I have so much stuff going on, I started to really dislike having to wait 3 minutes every time I changed anything and sync'ed. So, for now, I am with actiontastic.

Can't wait to see how OmniFocus does as a pure GTD app.

Seems that development is very active on the iGTD side but I am not convinced yet that adding more features is taking it any closer to GTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomares
I'm not sure if I'm a GTD purist
Nor am I - I find that my workflow and my work do not lend themselves well to the GTD as professed by David Allen. For example, his suggestions for "context" don't fit my situation due to my lifestyle, occupation, and specific needs.

iGTD fits me the best, so far. It's clear reading countless forums for other products that there are many different views as to which form of GTD is best for an individual. That's why we have so many emerging GTD apps.

Oh my - just came across yet another GTD app: Frictionless.

Last edited by pvonk; 2007-04-21 at 05:38 AM..

Version 1.4 of iGTD is out and as always, is free. This version adds a whole lot of features. Sorting can be manual or auto. GUI is improved; there's printing. Also has start date as well as the old end date.

OmniFocus will have to prove itself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvonk
Version 1.4 of iGTD is out and as always, is free. This version adds a whole lot of features. Sorting can be manual or auto. GUI is improved; there's printing. Also has start date as well as the old end date.

OmniFocus will have to prove itself!
True, but if iGTD is going to appeal to someone like me (a complete GTD novice), its UI is going to have to improve significantly. I just downloaded it, launched it and tried it out. Haven't got a clue how to make it work. I can enter the name of a task but not the project. I clicked something that made a purple pane appear on the left but clicking it again doesn't get rid of it. I can't input text into the Projects window anywhere (bug?)... I'm very underwhelmed for the second time (I downloaded an earlier version as well and it was even more difficult to comprehend then).

Perhaps I'll experience the same with OmniFocus, but iGTD is not at all intuitive.

Just goes to show you: different strokes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
True, but if iGTD is going to appeal to someone like me (a complete GTD novice), its UI is going to have to improve significantly. I just downloaded it, launched it and tried it out. Haven't got a clue how to make it work.
For me it's so absolutely intuitive and easy... First you need to define some contexts. Then start defining some projects. When done, you just add tasks as you need them. For each task, assign it to a context and a project. I suggest reading the GTD book by Allen if you haven't done so. The one warning I generally give about the book is that it is "paper based" and readers should understand that they may need to consider variations of the process, since not everyone falls into the daily "work style" of the author.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
I can enter the name of a task but not the project. I clicked something that made a purple pane appear on the left but clicking it again doesn't get rid of it. I can't input text into the Projects window anywhere (bug?)...
You need to be looking at a context or a project in order to add a task. Or you can add a new task to the inbox (which is a context), then define a new project if one isn't already defined. The purple pane is always there, except for the "Completed" mode, which you'd rarely look at.

As for text, just add a new task and then add text in the text area ("Task Notes"). Of course, there are the advanced features. In Mail (assuming you have MailTags installed - and this is one great addition to Mail that greatly helps GTD-like work) just press F5 and the email appears in the Inbox. You can later define a context and project. Or you can designate a task as delegated, to wait for, or a "maybe". It has quite a lot under the hood, like tags and links.

Last edited by pvonk; 2007-05-16 at 12:49 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvonk
For me it's so absolutely intuitive and easy... First you need to define some contexts. Then start defining some projects.
i can create contexts and tasks no problem, but the projects view doesn't let me add anything (at all - can't type anything anywhere, clicking the + button does nothing). However, what is unintuitive to me is that I can input a task, but when I click the Project menu, I can't simply add a new project there and then.
Quote:
When done, you just add tasks as you need them. For each task, assign it to a context and a project. I suggest reading the GTD book by Allen if you haven't done so. The one warning I generally give about the book is that it is "paper based" and readers should understand that they may need to consider variations of the process, since not everyone falls into the daily "work style" of the author.
I'd prefer not to at this stage - I want to test how easy it is to use OmniFocus without any foreknowledge. My work is entirely based on getting things done at particular times and in particular order anyway, so I probably already work to a rudimentary GTD method. I want to see if OmniFocus can handle the way I do things my way before I learn how to do things some other person's way.
Quote:
You need to be looking at a context or a project in order to add a task. Or you can add a new task to the inbox (which is a context), then define a new project if one isn't already defined. The purple pane is always there, except for the "Completed" mode, which you'd rarely look at.
See above - I can add tasks without trouble. My point about the pane is that the button I clicked to make it appear did not toggle back to the other view when I clicked it again. Now I see why from your explanation but without foreknowledge that felt very un-Mac-like to me. FWIW, iGTD opened for the first time in the Completed mode (edit: perhaps I left it like that the last time I tried the app... actually it is... I deleted preferences and support and started afresh and the default view is the inbox - my bad).

Your comment:

"i can create contexts and tasks no problem, but the projects view doesn't let me add anything (at all - can't type anything anywhere, clicking the + button does nothing)."

Something is wrong with your setup. In projects view, I can click the "+" in the purple panel and add a new project; I can click the sideways "T" button and add a subproject to whatever project is in focus. In the main panel, I can press the "+" and a new task comes up - I just fill in the blanks (context, project, start and due dates).

Oh well, the workflow doesn't seem to work for you - that's why there are so many GTD apps coming out. You try on a suit and pick the one that fits you best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
I clicked something that made a purple pane appear on the left but clicking it again doesn't get rid of it.
I'm not an iGTD expert, but I've been keeping an eye on it. I, too, hate the purple pane (a new feature, as of v1.4), but the color is customizable.

Hating the purple, I opened preferences, and there it was -- right on the first page: "Background color for sidebars." My guess is Bartlomiej changed the color merely to point out the new custom-color feature. Unfortunatey, he chose an ugly color.

So I changed it to the same light-blue that alternates with white in the middle pane. I did so by using the magnifying glass to capture the color. It took 5 seconds!

I strongly recommend always browsing every app's (a) menus and (b) preferences. It's amazing how much you can learn and how many features you can discover by doing so.