The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Feature request: setting OF's UI language in user prefs Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi all,

Brand new to OF, in fact, I just started running the trial today. Read the GTD book, saw various screencasts and reviews: I believe I'll stick with OF instead of Things.

My feature request: being able to change OmniFocus' user interface language in the user preferences. You see, my MacOS X sessions are using the French locale, but I like most of my apps in English. Why not offering users the chance to select themselves the UI language?!

Thanks!

Alex :-)

I believe that Mac OS X applications will respect whatever language that you have set in System Preferences > Languages.

I can't recall hearing of a program that allows you to set the language on an application-to-application basis. But there are probably a few programs that have that option...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonng View Post
I can't recall hearing of a program that allows you to set the language on an application-to-application basis. But there are probably a few programs that have that option...
I confirm with you that there are several programs allowing this (e.g. VLC to name just one). Would be nice if OF was one of them. It should be a fairly easy and straightforward feature to implement for an upcoming update :-)

Satri, you can do this for most any Mac OS X application.

Select OmniFocus in the Finder, then select "Get Info" from the file menu.

You'll see a "Languages" section in the window that appears. Uncheck the French localization (and any other localizations you want to not use) but leave English checked.

Quit and restart OmniFocus; it should now use the English localization.

Thanks Brian for the workaround, it almost completely works. "Almost" because the UI is now in English but all the 'default context and project names' are not updated and still in the first language of when the database was built. These can obviously be manually updated by the user in a few minutes. (I leave to Omni the luxury of judging whether or not this is something they want to fix)

Cheers! :-)

Ah zut. Now in MacOS X 10.6... this workaround (the get info and select languages) doesn't work anymore... so I'm stucked with a half-French half-English OF... annoying!

Any new workaround? :-)

I feel like this has come up before on the forums. I think the things that don't get switched with the change in language preference are the things that are user-editable. If it is the context names that are still in French, you can just edit them; you can edit many of the things that go in the toolbar by going into Perspectives-->Show Perspectives and then editing those items.

Thanks Lucas. I do know this (that I can edit the names), however, at the moment, I can't have a MacOS X in language 'A' and use OF in language 'B'. That's what I want to do and was able to do with 10.5, not with 10.6 anymore. The OF Ninjas could add a way to specify the OF UI language directly in a OF pref pane (like other apps allows us to do). I already loggued a feature request! ;-)