The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sample Data files Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am moving from a PC to a Mac. I am interested in Omni software yet don't quite *get* how folks use OmniFocus and Outliner Pro. I am looking for software to allow me to enter reams of small notes, many interconnected. Build plans for complex tasks that spawn many sub tasks and interconnections again. I have spent some time with each of the on the 30 day trial but feel like I am barely scratching the surface of their capabilities. Are these sample data files available go beyond the minimalist ones that come with the app?

Pardon the cross post in this & Outliner forum and what might be a lamer question!

Since you are coming the PC-side of things, why not post the apps you were using to do these things before? It might shake some better ideas loose . . .

OO is a super outliner and light database - I own it and use it all the time.

OF is a personal task manager with a strong GTD bias, and may do for your project planning provided you don't need to track the work of others with it (in which case you might want to look at OmniPlan). Like OO, it is outline/hierarcy based; and is not great for many-to-many "interconnections". I suggest you checkout the intro video if you haven't done so already.

With that out of the way, it looks like you need a reference collection and organization tool. That is something that neither OO nor OF is really designed to do. Yojimo (Bare Bones Software) or NoteBook (Circus Ponies) seem like good fits for your needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yucca View Post
With that out of the way, it looks like you need a reference collection and organization tool. That is something that neither OO nor OF is really designed to do. Yojimo (Bare Bones Software) or NoteBook (Circus Ponies) seem like good fits for your needs.
I use Yojimbo as my snippet keeper; however, I would also recommend Tinderbox. From the standpoint of trying to organize/generate myriad connections and interdependencies, it has no equal, as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by sfkeydel; 2008-03-25 at 07:08 AM..

<>Since you are coming the PC-side of things, why not post the apps you <>were using to do these things before? It might shake some better ideas <>loose . . .

thanks - I use OneNote - Info Select - MS Project - Word (for outlining) and find them all less then great.