The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tables again.... Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Good morning.

School has started here and I'd like to use OG as a tool to publish the carpool requirements for the week.

I envision a table with 6 columns (one for drivers and 5 for week days)

There will be 4 rows for DRIVE TO and 4 rows for DRIVE HOME

In each cell, I need to list 4 children and would like to put a check mark next to each child's name.

Since there are days when multiple parents will drive to and activity schedules will have multiple drivers home at different times, my goal is to have the check marks indicate which child is being transported by which parent.

I haven't found a way to:

to add a checkable box in a text field

Child 1 box
Child 2 box
Child 3 box
Child 4 box

I'm looking to streamline this process as all the children are very busy and the carpool will change every week..... I'd like to open OG, click the boxes for the children coming home with each parent, print to a pdf and then email to the carpool list.

Can check boxes be created with OG or is there another tool better suited for this task? Thanks in advance

Last edited by BrianONeel; 2009-08-31 at 04:52 AM..

There may be a way to do what you want in OG. In fact, I'm sure there is. But a quick, easy, easily adaptable way? I don't think so. (But I'm all ears if someone has a great idea out there.)

That said, it seems all of your needs can be easily met using OmniOutliner Pro. I use it for similar needs all the time. You've got checkboxes, easy to update for your needs, and all the rest. Granted, it looks more like an indented outline than a table, but it's a great quick way to accomplish what you want. Unless there's some strong reason you need the look of a table per se, rather than an indented outline, OO would seem to be the way to go.

Last edited by mitchellm; 2009-08-31 at 10:03 PM..

Mitchell ~ thanks for the suggestion. I don't own OO and I do have my heart set on a tabular view as I expect the girls to print and slide into the clear plastic front of their binders so there is no excuse for not knowing what the days' arrangements are.

I'll keep searching...