The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Moving from Things - Some Questions Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I really want to move from Things to OmniFocus but these two things are stopping me.

1) Ordered list of things to accomplish today
I know there isn't a Today concept in OmniFocus, and I'm OK with that. But the most productive days I have is when I look at everything that I need to do, and I create a list of say 7 things that I want to accomplish that day, in the order I want to accomplish them and then I do them. I see that I can flag the things I want to do, which I think is awkward, but I can't order the flagged list. I could also create a new project or context for things I want to do today that I can order but then I'd move the other items out of their proper project or context. Is there any other way to create an ordered list of things that I want to do today?

2) Remind me in advance of something I need to do at a particular date
I do this a lot with Things and maybe I'm missing something in OmniFocus. Say my taxes are due on 15 April every year. I set that up as a recurring event. But, I also want it to show up 6 weeks before to remind me that I should start working on it then. It there any way with OmniFocus to do this or do I just have to keep checking things that are due the next few month to make sure I want to work on it. Do I just set a start date?

3) Dates without a time
Most of my things that are due on a date are just due that day. I don't need to have them done by a specific time. Is there any way to assign a date without a time or do I have to put 11:59pm on all of these which is a pain?

#1: I've played around with using the task duration field to sort lists in a Flagged perspective and it works pretty well if one is not using the field for its intended use. The tasks for the top of the list get a low number (in minutes), the tasks at the bottom get a larger number, and leave plenty of gaps so that the order can be changed without editing most/all of the durations. It takes some work to maintain this system, so it will not be an option for everyone.

#2 Use the start date and a flag and tasks will appear in your flagged (Today) perspective on the start date. Its pretty much the same thing as scheduled in Things.

#3 Set the default due date time in preferences to 11:59 and you will not need to edit the times manually.

Edited to add: Just noticed that the thread is in the OmniFocus iPhone forum, so part/all of the above will not work if you are not also using the Mac version.

Last edited by Greg Jones; 2011-02-05 at 07:20 AM..

Thanks! I'll try these out.

Edit - hmmm not all of this is available on the iPhone version which is all I purchased so far. I'll see if I can get a trail desktop version, set the default time, and see if it syncs to the iPhone.

Last edited by Onazuka; 2011-02-05 at 07:24 AM..

Yea, I don't think any of these work on the iPhone app.