The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > iCal Sync
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Still can't sync with ical Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've dug through the various threads and suggestions about ical sync-ing, and seem to have things working reasonably well at present. (Resetting sync in Terminal (see above) appeared to be the active ingredient for me.)

Now I can send items from OF to ical calendars in deference to assignments in OF preferences and back again. However, iCal (or Mail) to-dos that are assigned to calendars that are NOT linked to a specific OF context are not put in the inbox. I know that OF sees the calendar: it's listed in the left panel of the preference window and is listed in the Console output during "Calendar sync". But to-dos put in this calendar don't appear in OF. (if I move them to my generic work calendar from within iCal, the calendar that is sync-ed to my work contexts in OF, then the events turn up fine.Is this fixable?

It seems like a one-to-many problem that derives from the different ways calendars get used in ical. In my case, I've organized iCal calendars by project rather than by context. This arrangement is dictated by my use of iCal's calendar sharing feature. I have specific calendars for big projects and share those calendars on the web in .Mac with specific collaborators. Different people for different calendars. But to-dos added to those calendars don't show up in OF because the various contexts I've created for work organization cannot map to more than one calendar.

One idea would be that this mapping feature could be switched from either 1) context <---> calendar or 2) project <---> calendar. Is that feasible?

p.s. I'm loving OF, although the biggest project on my desk at the moment continues to be "Get OF to work".

I Have just started playing with omnifocus, and can't get it sync with ical at all. I have set the preferences in OF (ie checking the allow blocked items) according to the posts in this forum, disabled all syncing to .mac, and tried resetting syncing both thru isync, and then later thru the terminal. The two programs remain completely separate.
What gives? It's going to be hard enough to learn to use the program as it is. I bought a mac so I wouldn't have to do this kind of stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b86dog View Post
I Have just started playing with omnifocus, and can't get it sync with ical at all. I have set the preferences in OF (ie checking the allow blocked items) according to the posts in this forum, disabled all syncing to .mac, and tried resetting syncing both thru isync, and then later thru the terminal....
Have you assigned contexts to specific iCal calendars? If yes, skip to 4. If not, step by step:
1. In "OF Preferences/Sync" all of your iCal calendars should appear in the left box. The top entry in this window is the default assignment "(Unsynchronized)".
2. Selecting that should show you all of your contexts in the right box (either OF defaults, or revised contexts as you've defined them).
3. Drag each context on the right to the appropriate iCal calendar on the left. This will determine the specific calendar in iCal in which To-Do items are listed. [The outstanding issue (to my view) is what happens to new tasks created in iCal/Mail (or other programs that feed the sync pipe from that end). If they're assigned to an iCal calendar that has no contexts attached to it, they will not appear in the OF inbox. If you assign them to an iCal calendar that does have a context associated with it, they will appear in the inbox with that context assigned. If you have multiple contexts assigned to the calendar, they will appear in the first one. (Nice feature I just discovered: If you append "[Project name]" (with brackets but not quotes) to title of task created in mail or ical and OF will pre-assign the right task and file it for you. Good if you have short, easily remembered project titles.
4. If you have already assigned contexts, check the integrity of that assignment by clicking on the assigned iCal calendar. The assigned contexts should reappear in the right window. If they don't (this has happened to me twice), click reset in the lower left to put all contexts back in the (Unsynchronized) box and start over.

Hope this helps.

Checking the assignments fixed things for me. thanks for the tip.

Has anyone else had this problem? The calendar field only shows the (Unsynchronized) option. Can't see my iCal calendars in it, therefore I can't match my contexts with it.

And I didn't manage to find the answer in the forums. OF is the best GTD app I've seen so far, but if it can't sync with iCal I don't see how to switch.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danicomar@gmail.com View Post
Has anyone else had this problem? The calendar field only shows the (Unsynchronized) option. Can't see my iCal calendars in it, therefore I can't match my contexts with it.
If in OF's Sync preferences you only have "(Unsynchronized)" showing up in the left column (Calendar), then there's something very wrong with your system. OF is not picking up iCal's calendars. There is a "reset" button at the bottom - have you tried pressing that? (I'm not sure exactly what is reset, and I'm not willing to try it out - at the risk of losing my settings.)

Perhaps someone from Omni can comment on possible problems with this lack of connection between OF and iCal.

Yes, you're right and I have tried the reset button and all the other obvious moves. Can't figure out what it is. I can sync my calendars with my phone via iSync without a problem.

Hi there,

I can't find "Preferences>Sync check the box titled "Publish blocked actions". " Is this in OF?

Many thanks.
Jan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvonk View Post
If in OF's Sync preferences you only have "(Unsynchronized)" showing up in the left column (Calendar), then there's something very wrong with your system. OF is not picking up iCal's calendars. There is a "reset" button at the bottom - have you tried pressing that? (I'm not sure exactly what is reset, and I'm not willing to try it out - at the risk of losing my settings.)

Perhaps someone from Omni can comment on possible problems with this lack of connection between OF and iCal.
I just had the same exact issue. I've lost all of the iCal calendars in OF Sync Preferences menu, so can't move contexts to anything at all.

This happened after resetting sync via Terminal

I have not had iCal syncing since I bought OF. Support ninjas stay with me for about 2-3 emails and then drop off. I feel like a leper.

Have tried every single suggested fix. Nothing has worked.

I really need iCal syncing. OF is otherwise flawless. Loving it on my iphone!

Any possibility a ninja could be assigned to stick with me?

Thanks.