The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Context for projects? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Did you do the top item on your context list?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralOcean View Post
The goal in planning mode is to plan out projects so that you don't need to plan in context mode. When you are in context mode, there should be little to no arguments about what to do next. You have made all the planning decisions in planning mode. Context mode is for Action.
Unfortunately in real world plans suffer changes. My work project usually include hundreds of items, some of the tasks/actions assigned to people as contexts. It is much easier to transfer such actions in context mode. I find such way to be optimal for me when dealing with GTD software.

This is just an example.

makesense, I suspect you have the preference to empty the inbox for actions which have at least a project since you avoid using contexts for some available actions. I require both project and context to be assigned before an action can be available (not to say I don't sometimes work out of my inbox). I suspect my preference setting is the majority setting so our sense of "available" and how to make the program reflect that is going to differ and it may lead to some confusion and frustration.

To get back to your first question about Projects with Contexts, sometimes the Project or Group IS the last action or is code for "review me just in case there are more actions" which is also an action. Since it can serve as an action is must be able to have a context.

@Ken Case
What was the reason for adding the context field to projects. It doesn't make much sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry View Post
What was the reason for adding the context field to projects. It doesn't make much sense to me.
Henry,

the context field has always been there, though it was previously labeled "default context" instead. If you have the context set on a project, any action created in that project will get that same context, unless you provide a different one. More generally, any row you create will get the context of its parent, whether a project or another row. If the parent doesn't have a context set, the child will not have one set either.

When all of a project's actions are completed, the project itself will show up in the context view, so you can check it off as completed if it is not set to do so automatically. Naturally, it will show up in the context that you have set (or "No Context" if you have not set one). Action groups (aka nested actions) work the same way.

Last edited by whpalmer4; 2010-09-10 at 02:39 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb View Post
makesense, I suspect you have the preference to empty the inbox for actions which have at least a project since you avoid using contexts for some available actions.
You are right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb View Post
To get back to your first question about Projects with Contexts, sometimes the Project or Group IS the last action or is code for "review me just in case there are more actions" which is also an action. Since it can serve as an action is must be able to have a context.
I can see how project or group can be the last action. Though I would refer it to 'revision' part of the job. Yes it can be 'doable' at the same time during 'action' part of the job. But usually while in 'action' mode I would like only to see actions and not think, if everything that can be put into this project has been put there. That is why I think one should be able to toggle such option to easily switch between 'revision' and 'action' mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makesense View Post
Unfortunately in real world plans suffer changes. My work project usually include hundreds of items, some of the tasks/actions assigned to people as contexts. It is much easier to transfer such actions in context mode. I find such way to be optimal for me when dealing with GTD software.

This is just an example.
Yes. At times life feels like a tidal wave crashing down, and other times it's a trickle.

Some of the ways OF helps with this is:
• using the focus action to focus on a single project
• using due dates sparingly and only for projects that really need to get done
• flagging projects

The purpose of trying to do the top item on the list instead of scanning contexts constantly for the next thing to do is: it can help to find whether we really have identified the next actionable item for a project.

If I'm feeling a lot of resistance on completing that action, it may not be broken down enough. Or it may be that I'm not invested in that project anymore. Maybe I need to look again at the project? Should it be placed into someday maybe? Should it be dropped? Is there a problem with how I'm using OF or GTD? Or is there some psychological resistance involved that I need to get over and just do the action. There is a book called 'The War of Art' that speaks to the topic of resistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Pressfield
Resistance cannot be seen, touched, heard, or smelled. But it can be felt. We experience it as an energy field radiating from a work-in-potential. It's a repelling force. It's negative. Its aim is to shove us away, distract us, prevent us from doing our work.
If I'm scanning actions in the context list, I may be subconsciously overlooking those actions that elicit resistance and never doing them. Sometimes when we feel that resistance, it may be the thing that is most important for us to do.

This is something OF & GTD help to combat. By breaking down those projects, into small actionable steps, the resistance is broken down into smaller chunks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wanamaker
One may walk over the highest mountain one step at a time
Using contexts is a way of hiding all those actions that we can't do right now because we aren't in a place where it is physically possible to do that item. If it is not actionable then I don't want or need to see it. Once we have that initial filter, we should be able to move into action. If we still can't begin working on that action, what is the reason behind it? Are we cruelly looking at things we have no chance of doing?

There are times when scanning is useful, when deciding what to do next. And sometimes we need the flexibility of picking something off the tree.

Last edited by SpiralOcean; 2010-09-11 at 04:33 AM..

Hi I'm new. Was trialing 1.7 just bought 1.8.

Def prefer way group tasks work in Context view.

Quick question: Didn't know could add context to project, doesn't seem to be way to view/change project's context like action. is inspector only way?

thanks

Also in Context view: With Group Actions/Tasks - assumed would show hierarchical (as project view) if all group action contexts are the same. Is there a way to achieve this?

Reason: Can't differentiate parent from child actions (without going back to project view)

thanks for any help

Quote:
Originally Posted by theorg View Post
Also in Context view: With Group Actions/Tasks - assumed would show hierarchical (as project view) if all group action contexts are the same. Is there a way to achieve this?

Reason: Can't differentiate parent from child actions (without going back to project view)

thanks for any help
Parents should be distinguishable from children by being styled in bold face, with the default style settings. See the Style preferences in the OmniFocus preferences to customize this. You have control over font, typeface, size, color, etc.