The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniPlan with Basecamp, OmniFocus? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi there!

I need some project management advice. I work in a small company of about 10 people. Right now we are using a project management web app, which is like MS Project on the web. It is painful. Everyone loathes it. We've considered something simple like Basecamp, but understandably management opposes it because it is more about collaboration than true project management; it does not have resource management among other things.

I love OmniFocus and use it for personal task management, but using it for work means that I'm managing tasks in two places, in our web app and in OmniFocus.

My question is this: Do you have any ideas about mixing a standard PM app, such as OmniPlan, with a collaborative tool like Basecamp and a personal task manager like OmniFocus? What is a good workflow? How can we get projects done on-time using tools people enjoy?

Thanks for any guidance!

--
Brian Morykon

As we've noted elsewhere, we do hope to get OmniPlan and OmniFocus talking to each other to create a smooth flow between team and personal task management.

As to what you should do in the current reality, I encourage other users to chime in.

Lizard --

Thanks for the reply. OmniPlan/OmniFocus integration will be nice, I look forward to it. Will it have some type of centralized sync to a web server?

Even so, it won't be the perfect solution for us in a mixed Mac/PC environment. I wonder, how do others mix tools like OmniPlan (or MS Project), Basecamp (or other centralized task management/collaboration tool), and OmniFocus (or other personal task manager) in a sane workflow?

Brian

Hello -

I would love this. It would be great to be able to have omniplan talk to omnifocus, so that focus gets updated with tasks assigned to me in omniplan.

That would rock !

I gather that there are people using AppleScript to copy tasks between OmniPlan and OmniFocus (and between master and detail OmniPlan documents, and so on).

what would be fantastic is if Omni apps ( omniplan ) worked with Basecamp API - and actually made its charting with basecamp based feed ins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim Lewis View Post
I gather that there are people using AppleScript to copy tasks between OmniPlan and OmniFocus (and between master and detail OmniPlan documents, and so on).
Are there any repositories for these scripts?

I too would very much appreciate both Basecamp and Omnifocus integration, as right now I use both! BC is used for collaboration, OF for personal task planning. If I could add Omniplan to this workflow, I'd be thrilled.

Hi quidire,

Don't want to pollute this forum too much. Thus, just a short answer:
I built a little web-service called http://www.spootnik.net which synchronizes Basecamp with OmniFocus.

- Lars

Trust me Lars, you'll have to work a lot harder to have a post qualify for "pollution" status. :-)

@Brian: Well, you don't need to tell me that twice :)