The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniGraffle & Edu License Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am about to buy OmniGraffle 5 Professional with Edu License. (I am a qualifying university student but going to graduate some time during spring 2009.) However, I've got some questions...

According to Omni Edu Store: "Educational licenses will have the text "[EDUCATIONAL LICENSE]" appended to the license owner name."

- Can I later upgrade to the non-Edu version of OmniGraffle 5 Pro? How?
- How much will this cost? 80 USD (the difference between Edu and non-Edu prices of OmniGraffle 5 Pro) OR something else (e.g. one of the OmniGraffle 5 Pro non-Edu upgrade prices)?
- Will this remove the text "[EDUCATIONAL LICENSE]" from the owner name?

- Are there restrictions with the Edu version (when compared to the non-Edu version)?

An example: What should I purchase to get OmniGraffle 5 Pro non-Edu, if I had OmniGraffle 4 Pro Edu. (In my case, it's from OmniGraffle 5 Pro Edu to non-Edu - but this information might be useful. Maybe I will keep the non-Edu version 5 - and want to upgrade 5 Pro Edu to 6 Pro non-Edu (if there is one some day).)

You can't upgrade to the non-educational version of OmniGraffle 5 Pro, but we have no problem with your continuing to use the educational license you purchase even after you stop being in that market. After version 6 comes out, you'll be able to pay the standard upgrade price to go to OmniGraffle 6 sans the educational discount.

When you eventually (we certainly hope so) upgrade to OmniGraffle Professional 6 and do so in a non-educational manner, the [EDUCATIONAL LICENSE] string will be removed from the new license key.

Lastly, there are no restrictions or limitations to the educational versions of any of our applications.

Cheers,

Will you be supplying us with some way to do the upgrade to 6 through Apple's App Store?

When is 6 due out?

Heh. My prediction is they'll have plenty of time to consider how to offer the upgrade before shipping :-)

I think OG 6 is the only one of their products that hasn't gotten some press suggesting what might be in it. That, coupled with a lack of any talk about their hopes about when it might ship in discussions offering something of a roadmap of their products (Ken's "iPad or Bust!" posts on the Omni Mouth blog, for example, or the long-running thread about OmniOutliner 4 on the forum) tells me that OG 6 is a long way off. I bet we see substantial improvements to OG for iPad before we see OG 6, though I won't try to guess what they might be (or what OG 6 might bring!)

Given that you don't know what OG 6 might bring, only that it will cost you some money to get it, what's the rush? Have you been sending in feedback (email to omnigraffle@omnigroup.com, not forum posts) telling them what features you'd like it to provide? That's an important step...