The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Help All My Projects and its associated actions just disappeared! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi Omni-fans,

I don't know what happened. This morning when I opened opened OmniFocus not a single project was listed in my Projects view. I had four separate Project folders:
1. Projects
2. Projects-Personal
3. Projects-Delegated
4. Miscellaneous (this is the default folder that OmniFocus Creates for actions that are not associated with a project).

All the first three folders, with the projects that were in them and the associated actions were just not there...Poof!

The only thing different that I did yesterday (or two days before) was that I changed my sync option from Bon Jour to Mobile Me.

Surprisingly (and also a wee bit saving grace):
- The projects and actions are present in my OmniFocus for ipod Touch
- When I create a new action, and type a project out, the drop box has the older projects also shown

I tried resyncing my ipod touch to my Mac via Mobile me, but the projects and associated actions would not appear back on to my Mac. Infact I am scared that it doesn't sync the other way and that I lose my data from my ipodtouch as well.

I don't think it's a filter thing. I tried to ensure that the filters are set to show all projects, even then my missing projects don't show up.

Any idea guys...please help.

Thanks!

Sorry for the confusion this is causing!

I suspect that one of the options under the View menu got changed; the projects are still in the database (since they show up in the pop-up when you make a new item), but they're being hidden from view.

The easiest way to get everything back to normal is probably to select
Perspectives -> Projects
from the menu bar. (If that doesn't work, the "All Items" option under the same menu almost certainly will.)

If that doesn't get you back up and running, feel free to give us a call at 800.315.6664 and we'll be happy to help.

Thanks for the message Brian. Am coordinating with Derek via Email on this. Hopefully should be resolved soon. Cheers!
Arif

I've got 30 folders containing multiple projects for business/personal. I was working on one of the projects prior to the last program close. All folders/projects were visible. To my knowledge I didn't access the menu bar or Perspectives before closing the program. All folders/projects were visible upon shut down.

Started the program today and only the project I had been working on was showing as available. I was very concerned I'd lost all data and that synching with iphone would simply wipe it, too. I clicked the Projects and Context buttons on the toolbar, but only the one project showed, and none of the Contexts were checked.

I took time from other things to search for info on this issue and found this thread. I went first to Perpectives and saw Projects was already marked, so that wasn't it. I then clicked All Items and everything came back. I'm taking more time from other things to write this message.

Any time one's data's visibility is changed without warning and a checkbox to accept the change, that is problematic, especially when the user has not knowingly done anything to make a change, and the change is not visible upon program shut down. The user should not have to experience the terror of thinking he has to manually reinput a mountain of data from the iphone. I love the program otherwise, but consider this issue to be a bug in need of a fix.

While it may seem like there is a mind-boggling array of ways to change the view around, the ability to change the view in so many ways is one of the most important reasons that OmniFocus has the power that it does. An endless stream of "did you really mean to change your view settings?" dialog boxes would quickly erode the willingness to use the program for most users.

If you'd like to make a feature suggestion, use Help->Send Feedback or email omnifocus@omnigroup.com to make sure it is seen and recorded in the development database.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
An endless stream of "did you really mean to change your view settings?" dialog boxes would quickly erode the willingness to use the program for most users.
A checkbox on the first dialog box to "Don't show me this dialog box again" would allow seasoned users to avoid them while enabling newbies to avoid what at least two users have gone through.

I appreciate the program's power, but having one's hard-entered data simply disappear without provocation, or apparent cure without resort to the internet or a forum, is distressing.

Found my self in a situation like macdaddy and mavakil

Perspective -> Revert to default view did the trick for me

/Karl Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy View Post
A checkbox on the first dialog box to "Don't show me this dialog box again" would allow seasoned users to avoid them while enabling newbies to avoid what at least two users have gone through.

I appreciate the program's power, but having one's hard-entered data simply disappear without provocation, or apparent cure without resort to the internet or a forum, is distressing.
I agree with macdaddy. Happened to me today even though I didn't change anything and experienced some stressful moments till I found this thread.

Users should be warned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anametheus View Post
I agree with macdaddy. Happened to me today even though I didn't change anything and experienced some stressful moments till I found this thread.

Users should be warned.
I agree with Anametheus and macdaddy completely. I'm a new user and experienced quite a panic this morning when 90% of my data seemed to have disappeared. Took me an hour to find this thread and solve the problem. Thanks for the info.

Similar thing happened to me yesterday only it wasn't a perspectives problem. All my filters were set to show everything (Project filter set to all projects, Status Filter set to Any Status, etc.). My projects all showed up in the sidebar and projects that had actions that were due soon showed the little red or yellow icon in the sidebar. The only catch was that when I clicked on one of these projects, the actions weren't there. Even projects that had a red or yellow icon so you knew they had to have actions in them, showed up empty.

Quitting and relaunching the application brought everything back. (whew!)

Is it possible that there's some kind of bug that kicks in when the computer is asleep for an extended period of time?