The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > iDisk/MobileMe/.Mac Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fast growing database size (again and again) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I follow the practice of unregistering sync clients and rebuilding the database every week (repeating task!)

Day 1 - 86k
Day 2 - 864k
Day 3 - 2.7MB

The database right before rebuilding this time was over 9MB.

I normally just sync iPhone and Mac, but sometimes will sync in my iPad.

Obviously a 5MB file can make the OmniFocus experience a little sluggish.

Any suggestions?

How are you taking your measurements? Because of the way that OmniFocus stores transactions, the Finder tends to greatly overstate the file size of a database with many transactions which have not been compacted. If you look at the actual byte count shown by File->Get Info, often the number will be much smaller than that represented by the size in MB or KB.

You get a new file in the database package file for each change you make, and each file will be counted by the Finder as occupying 4K (or whatever the minimum block size on the disk is), even though it will often only be a fraction of that, typically 400-800 bytes or so.

The other piece of the puzzle is the data that is reported by the settings page, sync section on the iPhone or the settings page on the iPad. That will tell you how many zip files there are waiting to be compacted. Remember, the compaction only happens up to the point where all of the devices have synced, so if you make a lot of changes on iPhone and Mac (generating lots of zip files) and only occasionally make changes and sync from the iPad, that will keep the normal background compaction from taking place as often as it might. You shouldn't need to do the unregistration of sync clients; just use them and let them sync. If you have a client you don't plan to use, sync it, then unregister it, which will a) make sure you don't lose any changes made on it and not yet synced, and b) keep it from interfering with compaction.

Yes I was using the Finder measurement for the package size, but he underlying data size was growing rapidly:

Day 1 - 86k (78k worth)
Day 2 - 864k (266k worth)
Day 3 - 2.7MB (681k worth)

I even have one backup showing 9.3MB which contains (2.2MB of data within.)

Thank you for the explanation on how the zip files corresponds to the changes and how they get purged.

But after an hour, every change I make increases the zip file count and it never goes down. I've quit OmniFocus several time, forced numerous sync's etc.

The zip file count never goes down, until I unregister the iPhone, rebuild the OmniFocus database and sync again.

Then it starts anew.

And at 4k per change -- I can make the file big again real quick.

My database is about 128 projects/448 actions.