The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iPhone Everywhere - How To? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
The OmniFocus web interface for iPhone is nice.

Assuming:
1) your OmniFocus database is always available from the Internet and
2) that your iPhone has decent -or any- bandwidth to the Internet (not always the case)

But until we have SUPPORTED third party apps on the iPhone and/or tasks in Leopard that we can tie to, this is what we are stuck with.

OK so we can't really do anything about #2, perhaps we can do something about #1:

My main work computer is a laptop. It is where my OmniFocus database/application reside.
Since it is mobile, it is not always online, and it is not always available on the public Internet or at the same address.

I am lucky enough to have a server at home that is always on and at the same address.

So, is there a way that we can export the web pages out so that they could be uploaded to a web server?

Or alternatively, a way that we could sync two copies of the OmniFocus database (one on my work machine, the other on my home server)?

This data really needs to be available on the iPhone, and the web interface already built into OmniFocus can accomplish most of what is really needed (short of the full app running on the iPhone); Now I just need a way to make that data available via the network.

Quote:
....Or alternatively, a way that we could sync two copies of the OmniFocus database (one on my work machine, the other on my home server)?
I don't have an iPhone yet (I'm a 3G/GPS holdout) but a solution to this might actually drive me to buy one early.

The above syncing is really the key to an effective GTD manager for anyone who cares about doing it while on the run. I am in the same boat as joelande here, as I suspect are many others. Right now I manage my actions via an IMAP email folder, because it's kept on my mail server and autosyncs folders to every device I have.

If there were the ability to sync multiple running copies of OmniFocus, or even if there was an "OF Lite" of some sort that was effectively just a sync agent and web server, that would be THE thing. Or perhaps if the OF GUI could attach to a server where the data was actually stored, and which also served as a web server for said data, you'd REALLY be all set--use the client or web server from anywhere and access the same data.

so nobody has figured anything out here yet?

Quote:
Or perhaps if the OF GUI could attach to a server where the data was actually stored, and which also served as a web server for said data, you'd REALLY be all set--use the client or web server from anywhere and access the same data.
See the following posts, but replace references to "iDisk" and "thumbdrive" with "server".
http://forums.omnigroup.com/showpost...5&postcount=11
http://forums.omnigroup.com/showpost...1&postcount=16

Unfortunately, that only covers the syncing of the actual database, which would be somewhat useless from the iPhone (ie, without an OmniFocus client).

What we would really need is a web-server application that can run somewhere else (ie, a PHP script) to host the data, for those of us that don't have always-on computers at home (or on the Internet).