The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

SMS or e-mail reminders Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is there plans in the future to allow SMS or e-mail reminders for specific actions / projects?

While I would guess alarms are not in the current scope, it would be nice to have a set of iCal like alarms for start dates. You could hack with with an applescript now, but it would be nice to have something built in that would trigger internally, rather than have a script poll all the items.

-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehprince View Post
Is there plans in the future to allow SMS or e-mail reminders for specific actions / projects?
A recent build added Growl notifications. One of the notification types is "Mail Me" which generates an email. If your phone has an email address for SMS (most do), you can certain send those notifications via SMS. If you want both, look for a tool to set up a distribution list and have it send to that list, which'll split it out to both outputs.

Since I don't keep OF running 24/7, I personally wouldn't find that very useful, but YMMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNik View Post
A recent build added Growl notifications. One of the notification types is "Mail Me" which generates an email. If your phone has an email address for SMS (most do), you can certain send those notifications via SMS. If you want both, look for a tool to set up a distribution list and have it send to that list, which'll split it out to both outputs.

Since I don't keep OF running 24/7, I personally wouldn't find that very useful, but YMMV.
Thanks iNik,

I think this might work for what I'm looking for. One question thought, you mentioned some phones have an e-mail address for SMS? I was not aware of this, by any chance do you know if the iPhone does or is capable of this?

Quote:
Thanks iNik,

I think this might work for what I'm looking for. One question thought, you mentioned some phones have an e-mail address for SMS? I was not aware of this, by any chance do you know if the iPhone does or is capable of this?
Yes you can do it with iphone. Format is something like #########@mobile.att.net

Email to your # and you get an SMS message.

Not 100% sure on the suffix... go look it up :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatOne View Post
Yes you can do it with iphone. Format is something like #########@mobile.att.net

Email to your # and you get an SMS message.

Not 100% sure on the suffix... go look it up :-)
I'd have to see if this is offered through T-Mobile.

T-Mobile > ATT

BOYAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNik View Post

I just installed Growl, but I noticed it doesn't have an "e-mail me" notification for Omnifocus.

Is the setting somewhere else?

Quote:
I just installed Growl, but I noticed it doesn't have an "e-mail me" notification for Omnifocus.

Is the setting somewhere else?
You need to select the "MailMe" display style for the alerts you want, and then in the Display Options tab of the Growl prefpane, choose the MailMe style and enter your email address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianogilvie View Post
You need to select the "MailMe" display style for the alerts you want, and then in the Display Options tab of the Growl prefpane, choose the MailMe style and enter your email address.
Perfect, thanks.