The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > iCal Sync
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Confusion about iCal synching Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm having some trouble with iCal synching. I attempted the solutions found here:

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=6648

...and that seemed to fix one problem (whenever I synched, old, completed tasks would pop-up in OmniFocus). However, I have an outstanding Action with a Due Date of 1/18/08 (note, this action has no start date). My expectation after synching is that it would appear in my iCal calendar. Unfortunately, it does not.

Am I missing something or is this a bug?

PS: The action has a Home context and I added the Home context to my "Home" iCal calendar.

Hi there,

is the task in question the FIRST task in a sequential project, or a task in a parallel project? Otherwise, it won’t be synced (as it’s not “available” as far as OF is concerned).

Cheers,
-Sascha

Its the last task in a sequential project (that has the same due date).

Based upon your comment, it won't synch. Is that a bug or a behavior? If its the latter, what's the thought process behind not synching it?

The idea behind this is: The task isn’t available as there are other steps in the project that need to be done first. In short, according to my understanding GTD, you’re not supposed to even think about that task too much as you can’t DO that task anyway until the other tasks are done. So there’s no need to sync it immediately with iCal; sync it later, when it’s available.

If this behaviour disturbs you: In preferences -> Sync, check the “Add blocked actions to Calendars” option. This way, all actions are synced, no matter whether they are available or not (i. e. blocked).

Cheers,
-Sascha

Quote:
Originally Posted by nggalai View Post
If this behaviour disturbs you: In preferences -> Sync, check the “Add blocked actions to Calendars” option. This way, all actions are synced, no matter whether they are available or not (i. e. blocked).
I just tried this suggestion and still no luck.

For what its worth, the project has a start and due date and 4 actions (only two of the four actions have due dates). I'm still reading David Allen's book, so I'm in the process learning the do's and don'ts of GTD.

With that being said, have I missed the boat or encountered a bug?

Hmmm. Perhaps “blocked actions” don’t include future actions of projects that are themselves in the future? That is, with projects having a future start date? I never give my projects start dates (only the included actions), so I don’t know.

Anybody else knows anything about it?

Cheers,
-Sascha

Edit: I just tried it out, with both future date projects and only future date actions. They don’t get synced with “blocked actions” selected in the preferences here, either. Actions in a sequential project with no start date, though, get synced that way (even though they are not available). So future-date actions aren’t considered “blocked”? Looks counter-intuitive to me.

Last edited by nggalai; 2008-01-12 at 11:50 PM..

Hi. I'm still at the task entry stage but have pretty much created all the folders, contexts etc that I want. I have gone through and started putting duration or due dates into some of the tasks (all parallel), but none of them are showing up in iCal after synchronizing. Reading the manual i was expecting that items would appear in iCal for the due date with the task and contexts etc info in the iCal event. Am I missing something here? All options are selected in preferences with the exception of the delete item in omnifocus if deleted in ical.
Thanks
A.

Synchronized actions appear in the iCal To Dos list, not as events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianogilvie View Post
Aye...there's the rub. OmniGroup should make that obvious in the Preferences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianogilvie View Post
Well, it would be a start, but my Omnifocus tasks with dates/durations etc are not showing up in the iCal To Do list either.