The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unused sub-contexts disappear Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I had a simple "errands" context with a handful of remaining actions.

Before adding new errand actions, I decided to add sub-contexts for four places I regularly visit. In Context mode, I added the four sub-contexts, which appeared in the list at the top level.

Before dragging my current errand actions into the new contexts, I made the mistake of dragging the four new place-name contexts into the "errands" context, at which point they disappeared.

In Planning mode, folders and projects appear in the left pane regardless of whether they contain actions. Is there some way in Context mode to display all contexts and sub-contexts?

What's the setting on your leftmost selector of the View Bar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
What's the setting on your leftmost selector of the View Bar?
I had never changed the leftmost selector. So it was set to Active Contexts.

Changing to All Contexts caused the unused contexts to appear. However, when I right-click on these unused contexts, they're all marked as Active.

Changing to Available Contexts also shows all contexts. However, when I set an unused context to not Active, it disappears from the Available list.

The meaning of "Active Contexts" seems clear. I'm uncertain what "Available Contexts" means, and the minimal Help doesn't seem to address this.

It appears that Active Contexts and Available Contexts filtering is cross-wired.

[submitted as formal feedback]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward View Post
It appears that Active Contexts and Available Contexts filtering is cross-wired.

Yes, this was brought up in a recent thread. There seem to be two types of "active" around.

Looks like this was addressed in a one of the last couple of builds. (I'm not saying it's fixed. I haven't played enough to be confident. But the release notes address this anyway.)

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton
Looks like this was addressed in a one of the last couple of builds. (I'm not saying it's fixed. I haven't played enough to be confident. But the release notes address this anyway.)
Here's the note from December 15:
  • Added two new Context filters:
    • Inactive shows all Contexts that have no available actions; note that some Active Contexts might be shown too if an Active Context is a parent of an Inactive one.
    • Unavailable for all Contexts that have been marked Unavailable.
My experimenting with the Active/Inactive filtering in 96184 shows that filtering is based on whether a task is assigned to a specific context.

The context contextual menu no longer has an "Active" attribute. Since the project context menu in Planning mode still has an "Active" attribute, it seems misleading, at best, for Context mode to have a different meaning for "Active".

Taking a look at project filtering in Planning mode adds more confusion. Folders have an "Available" attribute, and projects have an "Active" attribute. When project filtering is set to "Active", only Folders with the "Available" attribute are shown.

I think it will be a challenge to clearly document this attribute terminology and filtering behavior. Time will tell.

Folders taking on 'Available' and 'Unavailable' was a bug -- this was only supposed to touch Contexts. Thanks -- I've fixed this in 96220!

The hierarchy added to the filter popup (and hopefully soon the corresponding application menus) helps make it more clear how Available and Active interact, but I agree that it isn't crystal clear. We'll continue looking into this.