The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Repeating tasks and default time Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Are there any threads about this?
If I have a task set to a time other than the default time then when a repeating task is completed the new task based on the original uses the default time set in the preferences and not the time set in the original.

Also just noticed that if you advance a date by the mini calendar time is preserved but if you advance the date by typing in a new date or using words such as tomorrow the time set reverts to the default.
I often want to preserve the time set in an original.

(The use of the search string repeating & time did not show up any obvious threads):

Last edited by Sandpiper; 2008-08-11 at 03:39 PM..

This is a bug, in my opinion, and I reported it to the Omni people some months ago. (I'd encourage you to do the same, using the "Feedback" item from the help menu.)

If you use "Repeat from: Assigned Date" rather than "Completion Date" then the time setting is properly preserved for repeating actions. Of course, that setting may not be what you want for other reasons ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
This is a bug, in my opinion, and I reported it to the Omni people some months ago. (I'd encourage you to do the same, using the "Feedback" item from the help menu.)

If you use "Repeat from: Assigned Date" rather than "Completion Date" then the time setting is properly preserved for repeating actions. Of course, that setting may not be what you want for other reasons ...
Chris, it's a little unclear what you regard as a bug here. Perhaps you could clarify?

I think that having a repeating action based on completion date setting the start time for the next repeat to be the time of completion + the repeat interval is exactly the right behavior, especially given that a repeat interval may be less than a day. If I finish a task set to repeat every 4 hours based on completion on 8/12/08 @ 9:11AM, then I want the next one to have a start time of 8/12/08 @ 1:11PM, regardless of whether I started/finished that task early or late according to my original schedule.

I agree that it is a bit tedious changing the date but not the time of an action, often wish that I could just type the new date and have it keep the time, and more often than not simply retype the whole thing rather than fiddle around with the date/time widget and the mouse, although I would also agree with someone who said "that would totally suck for me, if I just type a new date I want the default start/due time!" because I want each behavior about half of the time :-)

I did just manage to confuse OF into setting the start/due dates for the upcoming repeat to be something completely unrelated (except the difference between start/due was the same) to either assignment time or completion time. Weird. I'll have to file a bug report for that one...

Here's what I think is a bug. In preferences I have 3 pm as the default due time for actions (under the data tab). If I create a new action and assign it a due date it will be due at 3 pm. So far, so good.

If I make the action a repeating action, then if "Repeat From: Assigned Date" is checked, when I complete the action, the next action also becomes due at 3 pm on the appropriate day. Excellent, that's just what I expect. However, if "Repeat From: Completion Date" is checked, when I complete the action, the next action becomes due at 12 am, not 3 pm. So the preference I've set only works for repeating actions if "Repeat From: Assigned Date" is used, not if "Repeat From: Completion Date". That seems like a bug to me.

Note: I'm talking about repeat intervals of one day or more.

I'm with Chris and have also reported this as a bug. If I have Repeat From Completion set to hours or minutes after, then calculating strictly makes sense to me. But if I'm using days, weeks, months, or years, then I want OF to use my default due time.

Curt

I haven't reported it (yet), but I agree with Chris as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
I'm with Chris and have also reported this as a bug. If I have Repeat From Completion set to hours or minutes after, then calculating strictly makes sense to me. But if I'm using days, weeks, months, or years, then I want OF to use my default due time.
Yeah, that seems reasonable. I would ask that OF keep track of how I specified the interval, so that if I needed exact computation, I could say repeat every 48 hours and get a repeat exactly 48 hours later, or "2 days" later (with default start/due times) if I said repeat every 2 days. I think that it does keep the data this way, as I recall Ken suggesting entering a repeat interval this way to avoid a bug. If so, it would be necessary to check the form specification rather than simply comparing the repeat interval to 24 hours to see which behavior to use.

Thanks. We've got this request in the database.