The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Perspective Requests Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I keep reading on these forums that if you contact Omni by phone, they will create a custom perspective for OF users that don't have a Mac. Is this true and if so, is there a way to do this by email as I live in the UK?

I couldn't tell you whether they are happy to do so, but the only thing preventing them from doing so would be if the customer is unwilling or unable to send their database to Omni. Brian has stated that a customer is entitled to an hour a week of phone support, which is plenty of time to walk you through syncing your database to the Omni Sync Server, syncing their Mac to that database, building a perspective or two, and syncing the data back to you so that you can have that perspective. If they get enough such requests, perhaps they'll light a fire under engineering to get such a feature into the product so that customers can do it themselves.

They can do this via email, as well, but it strikes me that doing so would be a bit frustrating in terms of latency. I'm a little surprised that they don't have a Skype contact or something similar (maybe a callback system) for their overseas customers to utilize.

We're happy to help folks with this, and the initial contact can be whatever's simpler for folks - phone or email is fine. The time zone difference tends to be the main obstacle to live support for overseas customers, but we'll generally just call at an agreed-upon time during our business hours when the need arises for overseas phone support.

With regards to the specifics of creating a perspective for folks: it's easiest to do if folks are syncing via our server, but even when that's not the case, it's not a problem. It may just be a bit more effort to retrieve the database and get it to us.

Only things to keep in mind are that it's necessarily going to involve exposing the entire contents of the customers' database to us, and folks kinda need to hold off on syncing their devices for a certain amount of time - we don't want to accidentally create a situation where database compaction causes unexpected results.

I think it'll be easier for everyone once perspective creation appears in the iOS apps, which means it's time for the obligatory if you want that, email the support ninjas and let them know. ;-)

More specifically to Stephen - send us an email and we'll be happy to assist. :-)

Thanks for the replies guys. I already use the Omni sync service and don't have a problem with steps required for creating a perspective (or two). I'll just have to have a good think about what I really need now.

Cheers again guys