The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Memory leak? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
and now newegg.com is playing nice :\

I haven't been able to find a clear way to reproduce the issue. I've just sent in samples when OW grinds to a halt.

FWIW, All of the recent SP releases have been "running away with my CPU". Everything's good for a while. Then, I notice my CPU pinned at 100% (as it is right now). If I open Activity Monitor, it tells me OmniWeb is using all available CPU time. Quitting and relaunching seems to "reset" CPU utilization.

iBook G4 (14 inch) Mid-2005
System Version: Mac OS X 10.4.6 (8|127)
CPU: 1.42 GHz G4
Memory: 1.5 GB
100 GB Hard Drive
ATI Mobility Radeon 9550 32 MB

Dave Burbank

It's been getting a little better for me, but I'm guessing that's because I've been putting trouble sites in a less often used workspace.

Just wondering if people are seeing OW 5.5b2 hogging resources. Earlier today, it seemed to bring my system to a crawl. Unfortunately, I didn't think to look at how much memory OW was using before I quit it, but the continuous disk accesses and the presence of five swapfiles, an unusually large number on my PowerBook in my experience, suggest to me OW was using a lot of RAM.

OW 5.5b2 continues to have problems with its real and virtual memory sizes growing ever larger. Closing all windows and tabs does not reduce the memory usage; the only way to shrink it back down is to quit and relaunch the browser. I generally end up having to two that 4 or 5 times a day. Meanwhile, many of my other apps are often left open for a week or two and their memory usage never gets out of control.

The virtual memory size is a particular concern; I find it often grows to 1.5 - 2 GB, and meanwhile the amount of free space on my drive starts to dwindle. Quitting OmniWeb only seems to recover a small amount of that disk space; I won't get it all back until I log out or restart the computer. As such, some of that may just be a problem with the virtual memory system in OS X (or could be a problem of me not fully understanding how it all works). But the fact that OW's virtual size often climbs to 2 GB while programs like Photoshop and Illustrator are sitting at around 600 MB, with quite a few documents open, makes me suspect that there's a leak in OW somewhere.

on iMac G5 (iSight) 1.9GHz 512MB 10.4.7 Build 8J135

With OW launched with Google homepage 41MB in Activity Monitor
OW opened with 20 tabs OW uses 195MB

With Firefox with same Google homepage 46MB
Firefox open with same 20 tabs as before 158MB

With Safari with same Google homepage 33MB
Safari open with same 20 tabs 144MB

+++ after a system restart +++

OW Google homepage - 42MB
OW 20 tabs - 193MB

Firefox Google homepage - 35
Firefox 20 tabs - 145

Safari Google homepage - 16!
Safari 20 tabs - 122!

+++

It seems OW does not use memory as efficiently as Firefox or Safari. I even have ad filtering turned on in OW (but not in Firefox or Safari). So OW is not even loading everything that FF and Safri are loading.

Keep in mind going by what Activity Monitor says isn't going to give you accurate results. Apps in OS X don't give back memory until another app needs it. So unless your free memory count is at 0, there likely isn't a problem.

This isn't to say there isn't a memory leak in OW.

Yes, good point. Still, when I am using OW I often experience general system slowdown, and a check with Activity Monitor does show that I indeed have no free memory left. This happens frequently, and is not something I experience before with Safari or Firefox.

I've been evaulating OW for a few weeks now. Now other browsers feel so old and incomplete. So I've almost bought into the OW vision. Still, in this day and age where you can get good browsers for free, one expects OW to be very polished in every way.

My impression so far is that OW is a greaet app with a few wrinkles here and there.

Regards,

Quote:
Originally Posted by khb
Yes, good point. Still, when I am using OW I often experience general system slowdown
I do as well, but it's generally CPU usage that shoots way up.

Quote:
So I've almost bought into the OW vision. Still, in this day and age where you can get good browsers for free, one expects OW to be very polished in every way.
Don't forget, this is a beta :)

One of the bugs in my queue is to look at the memory usage for OmniWeb so this is definately something we will be investigating.