The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WBS > PERT > Gantt Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Recently, I did some research into the state of project management software (including SaaS) for a Key Stakeholders Blog article.

Many mainstream products, including OmniPlan, follow the Microsoft paradigm: Bottom up planning using a task list/Gantt chart. However, best practice is to start with a scope management tool like a WBS.

Here's the best practices work flow: WBS > PERT (Network) > Gantt

Why does OmniPlan follow the MS Project paradigm that is not best practice? There are effective WBS and PERT chart tools for the MS Windows platform. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a functional counterpart for Macs.

Has the OmniPlan team thought about breaking away from MS, and just doing what's right?

By the way, I believe OmniPlan is a terrific product. It has huge potential.

Here's a link to the article with the complete rundown:

http://bit.ly/4HZH1R

Cheers!

It would be PERTicularly useful to have full fledged PERT charting... Why after all these requests can't the OmniGraffle programmer walk over to the OmniPlan programmer and say "Hey, I can make your software graphically useful!

I second that. I would like to start the project with a PERT chart first and then turn into a GANTT. It just makes more sense.
Don't be a "me too product" to MS Projects please.