The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How do you manage multiple projects? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I mustbe missing something ... I am evaluating OminPlan, but can't figure out how to manage multiple projects and I am beginning to think that maybe it isn't possible.

How would a user manage multiple projects? Does OmniPlan have a "dashboard" or even a drop menu that lists current projects?

Or, does a user have to manually open each and every project file to update a specific project? It also looks as though the only means of viewing a calendar of ALL active projects (ToDos & such) is if each project is manually imported into iCal? If this is the case, this is about a counterintuitive as it gets!

Seems to be a great app for an individual / company with a single active project.

Hopefully, I am missing something.

Thanks
-paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by pburton
I mustbe missing something ... I am evaluating OminPlan, but can't figure out how to manage multiple projects and I am beginning to think that maybe it isn't possible.

How would a user manage multiple projects? Does OmniPlan have a "dashboard" or even a drop menu that lists current projects?

Or, does a user have to manually open each and every project file to update a specific project? It also looks as though the only means of viewing a calendar of ALL active projects (ToDos & such) is if each project is manually imported into iCal? If this is the case, this is about a counterintuitive as it gets!

Seems to be a great app for an individual / company with a single active project.

Hopefully, I am missing something.

Thanks
-paul
Multi-project dashboard support is being planned for a future version of OmniPlan. As of right now, you'll have to manually open each and every project file to update a specific project.

We're also looking at doing more integration with iCal in the future as well. I'll add another vote to both of these requests in our database for you.

We did create an Applescript that allows you to join two project files together, so you could use this script to import each project file into a master project file and view everything in the master project. Here's the link to the Applescript if you want to try it out:

http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omniplan/extras/

I too am attempting to use OmniPlan to manage multiple projects. So far, I have a group for each active project. I have a limited number of developers and for planning purposes, I assume that 10% of their day is lost to rest room breaks, phone calls, etc. So I start with a base 90% for each developer.

What I'm wondering is how do I make this work to say Developer A will spend 45% of their day on tasks in project A and 45% of their day on tasks in project B between date 1 and date 2. Is this possible currently?

Thanks for the great mac software! I'm an M$ Project refugee :)

Thanks for the response. I am very interested in OmniPlan (after having looked at every PM app out there, including Merlin). But, until the multiple projects feature is added, it isn't a viable option for me.

I realize this is a loaded question, but how far down the road is
Multi-project dashboard support for OmniPlan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkolonay
I too am attempting to use OmniPlan to manage multiple projects. So far, I have a group for each active project. I have a limited number of developers and for planning purposes, I assume that 10% of their day is lost to rest room breaks, phone calls, etc. So I start with a base 90% for each developer.

What I'm wondering is how do I make this work to say Developer A will spend 45% of their day on tasks in project A and 45% of their day on tasks in project B between date 1 and date 2. Is this possible currently?

Thanks for the great mac software! I'm an M$ Project refugee :)
You should be able to change the assigned percentage amount by selecting the task or group that the resource is assigned to and change their assigned percentage in the "Task : Assignment" inspector panel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pburton
Thanks for the response. I am very interested in OmniPlan (after having looked at every PM app out there, including Merlin). But, until the multiple projects feature is added, it isn't a viable option for me.

I realize this is a loaded question, but how far down the road is
Multi-project dashboard support for OmniPlan?
This is a major feature and will probably be added somewhere in OmniPlan 2.0. As for when OmniPlan 2.0 will be released, it's way too early to tell and I can't throw out any sort of estimate at this time.

No master view is a serious omission. I love what I am seeing so far but I am managing a studio and need to see all our live work at a glance in one handy screen.

So, yes please, bump this feature and add my name to the list.

Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jones Boy View Post
No master view is a serious omission. I love what I am seeing so far but I am managing a studio and need to see all our live work at a glance in one handy screen.

So, yes please, bump this feature and add my name to the list.

Cheers.
Will do! :-)

I'd like to vote for these features as well. I have just bought a copy of OmniPlan and will use it for the odd one-off project for my team but there are several project managers at my company who are using MS Project and won't be able to switch over until these features are added (they'd really like to though). I also cannot use OmniPlan to collaborate with my MS Project colleagues due to this so I will still have to use Project as well... grumble grumble.

EDIT: my main concern is multi-project resource management. What I think would be great is if the resource utilization data could somehow be synced across all copies of OmniPlan on the same network.

Last edited by olrs; 2007-09-19 at 11:16 AM..

We often have the same people working across several projects and the ability to view their utilization across all projects would help us enormously.