The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Perspectives issues with build 712 Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
With the new individual settings for columns on every perspective , it appears that unless a perspective is opened in a new window every time , the settings are retained from the first time the window was changed .. example : I chose a perspective that contains only flagged items , used my toolbar buttons to switch to another one that contains all types , but only flagged are visible and the filter didn't change

Looking into it. Apparently my saved perspectives were good, but now that I snapshot new perspectives, I'm getting something like you describe.

OK; this should be fixed in 95717. Sorry for the trouble (and thanks for the quick find!)

I lost all of my date information with 712. I added the Start Date column back in manually after the update but all of my dates are wiped out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beelers View Post
I lost all of my date information with 712. I added the Start Date column back in manually after the update but all of my dates are wiped out.
Just ignore my boneheadedness. I did not lose my data, just my perspective. I reinstated the "Start Date" column (which contained no information) instead of the "Due Date" column (which did, in fact, preserve my precious information).

Sorry to cause a fuss :|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wood View Post
OK; this should be fixed in 95717. Sorry for the trouble (and thanks for the quick find!)
I posted a similar question to this days ago,
http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=6087
the question was a little different, but the cause of the confusion was the fact that columns were not being saved in perspectives

but it brings it up again, I woudl still liek my question answered:

What items are stored in perspective?

as of the latest builds .. the columns are : ) this I know for sure .
You have to set them for each perspective now .

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelande View Post
I posted a similar question to this days ago,
http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=6087
the question was a little different, but the cause of the confusion was the fact that columns were not being saved in perspectives

but it brings it up again, I woudl still liek my question answered:

What items are stored in perspective?
Name
Icon
Printing Info
Key Combination
View Mode
Open in New Window
Apply to other view mode
Focus
Search
Toolbar Visibility
View Bar settings (saves for both view modes, but only is applicable if the "apply to other view mode" setting is on.
Selection
Column Visibility

Also, if you open up the Info.plist of a perspective you can see everything that's saved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas View Post
Apply to other view mode
Focus
Search
Toolbar Visibility
View Bar settings (saves for both view modes, but only is applicable if the "apply to other view mode" setting is on.
One way to solve this cumbersome workflow would be to add a bit to a perspective that would specify whether the focus should be applied when the perspective is applied. It'd be similar to the "apply view bar settings to other mode" bit and would follow a model similar to the "styles" feature that you find in various word processors and graphics editors. It's helpful if I get to choose which attributes to apply.

I'd personally set this bit to "do not modify the focus" in (most of) my perspectives. Then using Ken's tip about focusing from the context view, I could imagine scenarios like this which are impossible today:

1. Fire up a perspective that shows all of my next actions in context view.
2. See a couple that are in the same project.
3. Decide to work on that project; select one of those actions and hit Focus.
4. Fire my other perspective that shows overdue stuff, or the one that sorts by duration, or the one that shows completed actions. Unlike today, they'd all work within my focus because I'd have set them not to apply their focus.

Maybe on that rare occasion I would create a custom perspective that would focus on some portion of my project list, but in general that's not my bag. I prefer perspectives that are generally useful instead of ones that are built for specific projects.

Think about it, man!

Last edited by davisre; 2007-12-06 at 05:01 PM.. Reason: clarity

So then I would assume that window dimensions are not stored, nor are the columns widths?

(I haven't had a chance to inspect the plist yet)

But then again, the visible status of the side bar is not mentioned in the list, and I believe that info is stored, so maybe this "complete" list is not complete...

Looks like I will have to open the plist file...

It will be nice to have the documentation when the product is complete.