The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CNN.com is sneaking past OmniWeb's pop-up blocker Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Starting a week or two ago, I started noticing pop-up ad windows behind a CNN.com home page window. I figured I'd messed up my pop-up window blocker.

I just checked, and my Preferences for CNN.com were set to my global default: Block pop-up windows only when not requested.

So I changed to Block pop-up windows always. The small ad windows are continuing to sneak behind the CNN.com home page. Sigh.

-- Ward

[submitted as formal feedback]

Are they getting past other browsers' pop-up blockers? Just curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handycam
Are they getting past other browsers' pop-up blockers? Just curious.
Safari 4.0.2 quietly blocks the pop-up.

Firefox 3.0.11 reports "Firefox prevented this site from opening a pop-up window." in a shocking yellow bar at the top of the page. I used the Preferences dropdown menu to disable the yellow bar.

-- Ward

What's the best way to get this pop-up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb
What's the best way to get this pop-up?
Since I first opened this thread, each time I visited the CNN home page, a small pop-up window would open behind the CNN.com page (peeking on the left in my case).

Now that you ask, CNN is not popping up an ad window, and there's no "blocked pop-up" icon in OmniWeb's status bar.

This is yet another case of "The application won't fail with the developer in the room."

-- Ward

At one point, we had a bug (since fixed) where the "show blocked pop-ups in the status bar" preference would cause the pop-up blocker to not work.

I couldn't reproduce that bug just now on cnn, but thought I'd toss it out in case it helps you narrow down what you're seeing, Ward. Thanks!