The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

ICal sync not complete Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Maybe i am missing something or just have not read far enough into this but OF syncs with ical but only adds stuff to the to do list and not to the calendar view. Is this normal? Is there any way to have the to do list show up in the calendar view?

Ben

Thanks I see that you cant put the items in the calendar view but the reasoning is rational.
"We don't control iCal's interface; they've chosen to present all their "to do" items into a sidebar rather than somewhere on the calendar itself. (We create to do items rather than calendar events, because events have fixed start and end times and our tasks don't: a five-minute task might become available today but be due next Thursday.)"

Still it would be nice if it is possible to have items come up in the calendar view if that is possible. I realize that the OF is quite dynamic but still it would be a great thing to have

Ben

p.s. Great work by the way I love the application and have pre-purchased it. So far it has GREATLY reduced my stress level as a small business operator and in my family life as well. Thank you!

what I said

I found that you can open iCal and drag items from the 'to do list' into a day on the calendar if you like

for what it is worth

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarymonkey27 View Post
what I said

I found that you can open iCal and drag items from the 'to do list' into a day on the calendar if you like

for what it is worth

Yup thats what I am doing. A bit of an extra step but one worth taking. I wonder if:

1. They could just default a 1 hour increment back from the due date of an item when it is given one and no start date and place it on the calendar?

2. 1 hour forward of the start date with no end date and place it on the calendar...

3. If the item has both start and end dates to put it in the calendar spanning the time frame

4. Otherwise if the item does not have a due date or end date then put it in the task list.

Seems to be a simple few lines of code with if statements before the export to ical, I could be wrong though I am not a coder.

Ben

While I can see the benefit of this from a planning perspective, I think it might crowd up iCal too much and make iCal less useful. Maybe as an option, but I really think I'd prefer to keep the tasks separate from the calendar. If I want a calendar reminder, I put it iCal, not OmniFocus.

Butt
big butt

couldn't you sync to a .mac account and only send a calendar named Omni-F that you know have your todo list where ever you have computer access?

like the library PC

If you have an individual calendar for OF alone then you can have it show or not.

Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarymonkey27 View Post
Butt
big butt

couldn't you sync to a .mac account and only send a calendar named Omni-F that you know have your todo list where ever you have computer access?

like the library PC