The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > iCal Sync
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Plans for scheduled/automatic iCal sync? [A: not at this time] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
Synchronizing with iCal can take a long time, because it has to compare every task in iCal's database with every action in OmniFocus and see which ones need to be updated. Sometimes iCal's database is completely unresponsive, hanging the application for a minute before giving up with an error. We didn't want that delay (or possible hang) to happen with every edit you make.

But Mixalis' question seemed to be based on the notion that syncing with iCal was necessary to sync between a handheld and the desktop, which is why it's important to note that iPhone and iPod syncing in OmniFocus are completely unrelated to iCal syncing.
I understand the point re Mixalis; good catch.

But are you telling me that even with Calendar Store you have to compare every task? Surely it (and OF) must (or should) have an index with dates, which would allow for a quick check (compared against last update) thus only needing to deal with a small number of changed tasks/actions. It seems other apps do a decent job of constantly syncing, or is all this related to being compatible with 10.4? And how is this effectively different than a manual sync? No "hangs" there for me, though it does take longer (a few seconds) than I expected, or see in other apps. Why not just set a user defined frequency (only implemented when there was an updatable change; i.e. only when a field in an action is related to an iCal task field, and is actually being synced to iCal). Then offer automated syncing/checking based on the defined frequency, quitting, switching apps, etc.

If iCal is going to be hub of task and event information (which does make sense all things considered, then auto-syncing of such information should happen. I hope you all can find a way over, around or through this barrier, sooner rather than later.

I have to wonder if this is all related to an Apple developer philosophy revealed recently with Apple's "push" blip.

Either way, good luck and good work. The reviews seem mostly accurate; innovative but a bit more complex than expected.

To clarify, why not optionally automate manual syncing? That doesn't mean every change needs to be checked.

And I do think MobileMe's online calendar adds to the reasons for needing to be sure that tasks/actions are synced. I'd like to be able to see at least my chosen next actions, and those due today and this week on iCal. OF only deals with tasks, but my days are filled with tasks and events, and I'd like to schedule time for tasks amongst the events (sorry GTD purists; we don't all learn, think, see, work or get/stay organized the same way).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
Synchronizing with iCal can take a long time, because it has to compare every task in iCal's database with every action in OmniFocus and see which ones need to be updated. Sometimes iCal's database is completely unresponsive, hanging the application for a minute before giving up with an error. We didn't want that delay (or possible hang) to happen with every edit you make.

But Mixalis' question seemed to be based on the notion that syncing with iCal was necessary to sync between a handheld and the desktop, which is why it's important to note that iPhone and iPod syncing in OmniFocus are completely unrelated to iCal syncing.
Hi Ken!

I thought I might throw out some scenarios I've run into concerning ical integration and auto syncing.

I have been able to do the following:
Local OF <> Local ical; syncs both ways
OF <> MobileMe's idisk
MobileMe's idisk <> iphone App
iphone app <> MobileMe idisk <> Local OF, but not ical... until I manually sync... which means I have to be here to do it

Sounds great! Unfortunately, here is where I run into some issues:
• Tasks added in MobileMe's calendar don't show up in my local OF or iphone app. I have employees and assistants who use MobileMe and enter in tasks. I won't be able to see these tasks on my iphone. I won't be able to get their tasks into OF until I am back in the office and can sync everything back up with ical.

• A freelancer, who I don't want having access to my OF data, has access to specific ical calendars, which then get uploaded to MobileMe. Tasks added at the ical level won't make their way to me on the iphone, because there is no automatic sync, and no talking between MobileMe's calendar and MobileMe's idisk.

I can understand not using OF for a large organization/company, but I don't think it should be crazy to think about being able to use OF successfully between a couple of users in a few different states and platforms. I thought MobileMe and the OF phone app would solve this, so you can imagine my surprise (ok - actually dismay lol) when I finally figured out that only the idisk OF database syncs.

Have I missed a solution and am being terribly blonde?
Or have I run smack dab into a limitation?

Damsel in distress! Help! :)

Just in case someone finds this thread in a hundred years or so, I'm running OF 1.7.5 and if you right click on the top toolbar(not on a button) of the app and choose "customize toolbar" you can add the "Sync with iCal" button. Thanks guys!

J

The new manual sync button is a real treat, thanks for the hint.

While I too wish for some kind of iCal auto-sync preference, there is still the ability of assigning an key command in System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts using Leopard & Snow Leopard (maybe in Tiger too? Not sure).

I use <Cmd + S> to sync without having to click the iCal button in the toolbar. The only problem is remembering to do it when I've made a change on the fly.

Yes please add this. The having to hit the sync to iCal button is really dated. Every program I have that talks with iCal has this. Omni is the only one I have to do the old fashioned way. I've heard weird reason's why this has not been implemented, but coming from experience of actually developing apps with Mac's sync services there really is no excuse. It would also be nice for iCal tasks to be synced into Omni. Jumping between iCal tasks and Omni tasks are driving me a bit nuts. THINGS has this implemented and works very well. I wish we could merge the two.

Also this feature has been on the wanted list for a lot of people since 3 years ago!!

Merged a couple of threads and re-titled the combined thread to hopefully make this info more find-able.

In general, this post remains up-to-date; while automatic sync does offer more convenience when it behaves well, it also means letting other apps invisibly modify data in your trusted system. We implemented sync as an active step so folks are aware when other apps may be modifying their data; this gives them the best chance of catching a problem when it happens.

Of course, we do have a feature request open on auto-sync, and folks can email the support ninjas to vote for it. So far, though, there are other features that have more votes attached to them.

Last edited by Brian; 2010-02-25 at 05:24 PM.. Reason: added 2nd sentence in 2nd paragraph for more clarity.

Isn't there a way to get Omnifocus to sync with iCal when I hit the Sync button versus having to use a separate command "Sync with iCal" or set it up to sync automatically at some timeframe ?