The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Need Gantt chart for managing student progress Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello OmniPlan forums!

I'm a Mac/iPhone user of OmniFocus. I teach private music lessons, and I'm looking for software that would let me visualize on a timeline what my students have been doing, are going to do, etc. I'm wondering if OmniPlan would suit my needs. My guess is that it is serious overkill, but if it does the job right, I'd be willing to pay for it and learn it.

My idea is to have a project for each student (is this even possible?). In their Gantt chart I'd have different groupings of activities. One might be songs they're working on, theory topics we've gone over, technical drills.

For example, a student might be working on barre chords. Typically, we'd first learn the typical four shapes for major and minor (one each for roots on bottom two strings). After this "task" is over, we'd go on to Dominant 7, and then Major and Minor 7s. I want to visually see how long we've been on each topic.

Other "wants" include the ability to output some kind of report (not necessarily in Gantt chart format). I'd also love to have lists of things that I can reuse with each student. For example, when a beginning student is learning rhythms and power chords, I have collections of drills I use. It would be ideal to drag a drill to the proper place on the chart, mark it done, and throw the next one down.

Finally, I use OmniFocus to manage my own actions related to teaching. It's wonderful to have a super-quick way to enter into OF a note at the end of a lesson such as "Ben needs a copy of Hell's Bells" and assign it a due date of one week from now (his next lesson). This works great for reminding *me* what I need to do. Is there any integration with OmniPlan that would make it quick and easy to add such a task to the student's respective project?

When I think I have enough time to play around I'm going to download the 14-day trial. With this post I'm just hoping to get an opinion or two about what may work, what may not work, and obstacles I might face.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forums, Adam!

It'd be pretty simple to set up one (or several) template documents. When you get a new student, you could save a copy of the template for the new student, then walk them through the steps/tasks it described. (Copy/Paste is also possible if you need to grab a chunk of a different project for a given student.)

OmniPlan might be a bit of overkill for a workflow like yours - you wouldn't really be using any of the resource scheduling side of the app, for example - but I think it could pretty easily cover the tasks you've mentioned here.

Regarding OmniPlan-OmniFocus integration - it's something we're working on, but it's not in place yet; there is going to be some duplication of information between the two apps. (I don't know exactly when those features will be ready for folks to start testing, so my advice would be not to make your decision dependent on that being in place.)

Hope this helps!