The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Does OF sync when started by Prowl? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Does OF for the iphone automatically start to sync when its openned?

I am using Prowl to open OF upon Growl (not to be confused with Prowl) events.

Last edited by timsmiths; 2010-03-29 at 11:51 AM..

Happy to help! The answer is "sometimes". :-)

OmniFocus will start a sync if it sees that more than an hour has passed since the last one. (This is true on the Mac, as well.)

Brian, it's been my experience that OmniFocus on the Mac will always start a sync when launched, regardless of when the last one took place. Are you suggesting otherwise?

Well, whaddaya know? It does! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsmiths View Post
Does OF for the iphone automatically start to sync when its openned?

I am using Prowl to open OF upon Growl (not to be confused with Prowl) events.
What kinds of events are you using in this method? It's a very interesting use case. I'd love to learn what you're doing.

That's opening OF on the MAC and not on the iPHONE, correct?

J.

JohnJ80, I believe it's on the iPhone - Prowl is a Growl client for the iPhone. More info available here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
JohnJ80, I believe it's on the iPhone - Prowl is a Growl client for the iPhone. More info available here.
I have prowl on my iPhone and use it to communicate with my home automation systems I built (hows that for geek factor?). I'm surprised it starts up OF. I mean, it really does?!

J.

Sorry 'about the delay - was a few days and I thought you folks were ignoring me...

Yes - its on the iPhone. Frankly, just wanted to make sure the OF for my iphone was in sync most of the time...I typically go to a meeting - load up my OF on the iphone...then return to my desk...load up OF desktop..etc. etc. Given that (at least not until v4 - still appears to be hack-ish) I can send an event to prowl - say every 30 mins, I would be covered 9 to 5. OF only syncs every hour if it remains open and my iphone doesnt go into standy, sleep, whatever its called..correct? Otherwise, it sort'a syncs every hour if I remember to f' w/ it...thought that was the point of GTD - get needless crap our of your head. Its been my experience over the past 6 weeks that I am getting less done - like the easy capture, but the management of the tasks...not sure its working for me...but that is a story for a different forum.

One thing I noticed when I started getting more GTD-ish, Tim, is that it initially was more work: I had to do a lot more deciding what to do, because I was recording everything, including a bunch of stuff I was previously forgetting. :-)

It did get easier eventually, though - I've got a couple of lists (like "books to read") that I add things to even though I'll realistically never read all of them. I also get better at taking the "if it can be done quickly, just do it" approach, and prioritizing.

With regards to the Prowl bit - that's not a bad little hack. I'm in the habit of pulling my phone out and doing a sync as I walk to a meeting, but I occasionally forget; your approach would prevent those situations. :-)