The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Things to OF importer Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Hi All,
1st post here. And 1st apple script late last night... It would be awesome if someone said "Hey, your reinventing the wheel here. Just follow this link."

I was able to get my data out of Things and into a tab delimited txt file. I then used the trial version of oo3 to convert the txt to an OmniOutliner file. The resulting txt file looks like this:
"projectName" \t "nextAction" \t "@Context" \t "duration eg. 5min or 1h" \t "priority eg. High, Low" \t "hugeChunkOfNotesWith\n'sRemovedToKeepOOHappy" \n (or \r I forget which) repeat...

Here are the issues I am working through:
-The resulting OmniOutliner file looks like the txt file (of course) but with many columns (and no outlining?). Is there a preferred way to format a txt file so that OO opens it and sees an outline and not just a 2d string array?

-OF brings everything in flat and doesn't recognize the project attribute (also flat-ish in OO hmmm, pg. 50 in the OO manual talks about out-denting... is there something here I am missing?)

-My durations go straight to metadata instead of the duration field (this could be my naming convention: 5min, 15min, 30min, 1h, 2h, 1d. What naming conventions are supported/recognized?)

-The notes show up but with a "Metadata: " string prepended to them. Any way to write directly to the notes object?

-I guess "Metadata: Priority: High" is fine. What do you use to set H M L priorities in your OF setup?

I know there is a lot here. Thanks for taking time to read it all. My script code is (will be) pasted below. It began life here: http://culturedcode.com/things/wiki/..._(AppleScript). BTW they have one that does OF to Things http://culturedcode.com/things/wiki/...Omni_To_Things. I'll check that out for ideas.

---On a silly XP machine at work, I'll post the script code later---

Last edited by A to the B; 2009-12-23 at 08:23 AM.. Reason: one of the hyperlinks did not like th ")" symbol