The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Arrange instead of Filter Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I don't think the filter bar should be renamed as "arrange". When I'm arranging things, I'm moving them to their proper place. When I'm filtering things, I'm catching somethings and letting everything else go by.

I also miss the teastrainer icon.

This being said, I think a PROPER arrange view, say where editing would be temporarily locked making it easier to move tasks and projects around, that would be pretty cool.

I agree with GeekLady — arrange is what we do when we move all the visible things around, filter is when we change the visibility.

Filter tells me everything not visible is still there, it just didn't pass through.

I also like the strainer, but it may be too obscure for 1.0. Remember before it had a handle, and looked like a birth control object? The current icon doesn't say anything to me.

--Liz

I enjoyed the strainer also. And agree that filter is a better term for what is happening. Although... at some point you will be able to re-order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizPf
I agree with GeekLady — arrange is what we do when we move all the visible things around, filter is when we change the visibility.

Filter tells me everything not visible is still there, it just didn't pass through.

I also like the strainer, but it may be too obscure for 1.0. Remember before it had a handle, and looked like a birth control object? The current icon doesn't say anything to me.

--Liz
O.O

I remember that, but I thought it was a perfectly reasonable fascimile of a tea strainer... I don't even WANT to know what else it could be.

[Edit] Spiral Ocean:

We can reorder things now, but it's a pain to grab the EXACT place on the task/project that will not open up an editing window but still select the project.

never mind

Last edited by Craig; 2007-07-10 at 08:45 AM.. Reason: wrong thread

Me too. When rearranging a list we are sorting. I vote for Sort Bar. Filter does imply that you are hiding something, but when you sort you may also be setting some pieces aside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb
Me too. When rearranging a list we are sorting. I vote for Sort Bar. Filter does imply that you are hiding something, but when you sort you may also be setting some pieces aside.
To me "sort" does not imply setting things aside. But likewise, "filter" does imply sorting and grouping, and "arrange" does not imply leaving things out.

How 'bout "View Bar".

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton
How 'bout "View Bar".
That makes sense, because the result of using the ribbon is really that you get a different view of your data. And saved views are already called 'perspectives'.

View Bar would be acceptable, but I still like the tea strainer icon best. Anything is better than 'Arrange'. Sheesh

OK, I'd go for "View Bar" (but I was thinking about sorting as in into piles, not so much sorting vertically lists). View takes into account that you might no see something and you are looking at it with a certain "perspective".