The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Turn off automatic attachments for pasted URLs? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
There's an option in Preferences called "Automatically create attachments from typed URLs". However, when pasting URLs, this option has no effect. No matter what I do, any URL that I paste is automatically converted into an attachment. Is there any way to prevent this?

Vocaro-

Unfortunately no.. there's not really a way to prevent this. We will be getting rid of url attachments in the future to avoid this mess. One thing you can try doing is pasting into a cell and not having the paste make a new cell. This should give you a hyperlink instead of an attachment (however, even though the hyperlink works after you paste, once you save and reopen, it will just be plain text).

--
Derek M.
Support Ninja
The Omni Group

This answer was helpful to me. I'm documenting processes where the URL's are just examples and making them attachments just obscures them.

OTOH, I often find it valuable to have an URL be "navigable". It looks like turning off this option leaves me no means by which I can create an URL attachment (navigable URL).

I'd like to be able to do both -- I'd like to type/paste literal text that might happen to look like an URL. I'd also like to be able to type/paste an URL and make it navigable. Can I do both?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill
This answer was helpful to me. I'm documenting processes where the URL's are just examples and making them attachments just obscures them.

OTOH, I often find it valuable to have an URL be "navigable". It looks like turning off this option leaves me no means by which I can create an URL attachment (navigable URL).

I'd like to be able to do both -- I'd like to type/paste literal text that might happen to look like an URL. I'd also like to be able to type/paste an URL and make it navigable. Can I do both?
Short answer, no. You can keep the url preference on and turn off the attachment tags so it looks like a hyperlink. That may be the best option for you.

--
Derek M.
Support Ninja
The Omni Group

Hoping it's not untoward to post on a very old thread, but I just wanted to note that I'd also like to be able to choose to paste a link in plain text. My suggestion would be to add an entry to the context menu for the hyperlink to convert to text.

Workaround:

Copy it without http:// AND prepend some text before copying/pasting.

If you need to add back in the http, you'll have to undo (Cmd-Z) after it's recognized as a link and converted.

In the Numbers app on the iPad there is a contextual menu to paste formulas or values. We're hoping for something similar where we can paste either the actual text of the link as plain text or the formatted URL. Too much to ask?