The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OT: Gecko Alpha vs. OW Alpha Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello all. Tired of FF 2.0.4 on my work Windoze PC, I went ahead and got the FF 3.0 Alpha 5 file and installed it.
http://developer.mozilla.org/devnews...-for-download/
This thing is SO DAMN FAST!! I intend to do the same thing on my PB at home to see if the Mac version has similar performance improvements. I should add that alpha 5 is also much faster and far less buggy with Google apps.

After reading the first few reactions to the OW Sneaky Peek, I would like to get feedback from everyone else as to which is faster and more compatible: Gecko 1.9 or Webkit 5xx?

Payam

PS It seems as if the browser wars are reaching a crescendo, and Microsoft is not even a factor, other than they are the 800-lb gorilla that is holding the web back. PNM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philonous
It seems as if the browser wars are reaching a crescendo, and Microsoft is not even a factor, other than they are the 800-lb gorilla that is holding the web back. PNM
And this time it's not about proprietary features, but about who's more standards compliant. Ain't it sweet? That also is the reason why IE is off the radar. :-D

The major reason behind Firefox 3 being lot faster even on Alpha stages is: They decided to use Native OS widgets, native font rendering thanks to some open source gui acceleration suite.

Omniweb is a native OS X application from start so it didn't need such things.

Still, they are arguing about whether to enable colorsync (by default) or not, a feature enabled on all serious OS X native browsers from start. The Firefox issues or the reason not enabling colorsync for 5-6 years while Apple is there to help is rather having some stuff to do with the browsers nerd profile which they couldn't get rid of.

They use sqlite for history/bookmarks which Omni does for ages. I am not sure Omni uses "sqlite" but something there makes it possible to search 10.000s of sites/pages in history without any noticeable slowdown or flood of disk activity. Whatever that is, it is good :)

Omni, Opera keeps the innovation up but Firefox gets the press. No big deal though... Everyone seems to accept the "no credits" issue on browser scene. Just like Opera invention/idea "speed dial" appearing 5 days later on Firefox scene as a "Extension" and there is not even a mention of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philonous
Payam

PS It seems as if the browser wars are reaching a crescendo, and Microsoft is not even a factor, other than they are the 800-lb gorilla that is holding the web back. PNM
If you remove mshtml.dll or the html COM object stuff from Windows, there is no way anything having something to do with Web will work even including die-hard MS rival companies. Lets pick a serious rival... For example entire suite of real networks applications since realplayer 8. Or ICQ/AIM.

That is what Microsoft wanted and they achieved it. IE is just a shell. They didn't want all independent standard web, they didn't want Netscape's idea of Web based operating system or all different operating systems running independently chosen "web apps". They are not evil for Windows bugs, they are evil because "web apps" which are just taking off were an idea which should be there back in 1998. Another 9 years loss for computer progress.

Now Java and Flash progressed to a point where you can run virtual operating system , they are bribing/gambling billions of dollars for .NET and Silverlight. If they don't take off, nightmare scenario of OS X/Linux/FreeBSD people running same quality of desktop, same amount of choices happens :)

Easiest example would be for Mac: Imagine AutoCAD web/grid edition where you virtually use over web and Autodesk grid/supercomputers which you rent monthly do stuff which you could never do.

Currently half of professionals buying Parallels and Windows are engineers who requires AutoCAD for their work.

Got what I mean?