The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Gut Check: is update from 5.4 to 5.4.2 worth it? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've been dragging my feet on updating to 5.4.2 from a standard installation of 5.4. In the past I've had ugly experiences with having a small update screw everything up.

Does anyone have any opinions whether the update to 5.4.2 is a good idea? Or does new features cause problems with old features?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewS View Post
I've been dragging my feet on updating to 5.4.2 from a standard installation of 5.4. In the past I've had ugly experiences with having a small update screw everything up.

Does anyone have any opinions whether the update to 5.4.2 is a good idea? Or does new features cause problems with old features?
Our pattern is to introduce new features in major updates (such as 5.3 or 5.4) and then focus on fixing bugs for our minor updates (like 5.4.1 and 5.4.2).

In this particular case, OmniGraffle 5.4 was the first 64-bit release of OmniGraffle—the first release to be built with a modern toolchain which supported 64 bits and to require Snow Leopard. We received a lot of feedback about issues people encountered in that first 64-bit release, which led to a bunch of fixes in OmniGraffle 5.4.1 (see the linked release notes). (5.4.1 also fixed a bunch of Retina display issues encountered when Apple shipped their first Retina Macs this summer.) While 5.4.1 fixed most of the problems introduced in 5.4, there were still a few more issues which we tracked down and fixed for OmniGraffle 5.4.2. We've received far fewer crash reports from 5.4.2 than we did from 5.4 (enough so that I asked the team to double-check that the crash reporter was still working!—it is), so it looks like 5.4.2 has fixed most of the stability issues introduced by the 64-bit upgrade in 5.4.

In summary: yes, I'd definitely recommend updating to 5.4.2 if you haven't already!

So an aphorism would be "Yeh, upgrade because it fixed a lot of crashing"...

I don't know if I noticed this checkbox before the update "Wrap to Text" between Property: Text inspector. It now defaults to off on older files so that text in text boxes spread past its borders.

It's solved by a simple select and checkbox, but it has to be fixed on every text block, which is a lot of work if there are a lot.