The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Would you like to see cloning/aliasing in OO4? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I would love to see cloning ... particularly if it doesn't increase file size. In other words, if the cloned text is not a 1-to-1 copy of the original text, but a kind of link to it.

Along with cloning, I would need two things: 1) the ability to filter views based upon the content of the item or attributes established in columns ... and 2) the ability to assign multiple attributes per item.

Absolutely would love to see cloning implemented!

Duh!

Yes, please add this feature!

Very, very few outlining programs in the last 10 years endeavored to make this a part of their feature set--which amazes me, considering "pointers" are such a part of programming!

Thank you for considering it. Please add my vote!

With all the positive feedback here, it would be great if the Omni folks would let us know if this will now be a committed feature for Omnioutliner:)

For one person early on in this thread who wanted to have one doc with an overview of various projects, this particular thing can be sort of accomplished by making a doc that contains links to other OO outlines for each project. This has worked for me, I can quickly look over what I've got going and just as quickly take a look at the outline for any single project, as well as open multiple ones to view on the screen at once.

On the main topic of the thread, I agree that clones, which I presume means not just copies but copies that update when the original is updated, would be a great asset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregO View Post
With all the positive feedback here, it would be great if the Omni folks would let us know if this will now be a committed feature for Omnioutliner:)
It's still under discussion. We appreciate the feedback though!

I had cloning available in some other outlining product i used, either think tank or lotus agenda or magellan, which had outlining. I found it confusing, and also it was defective. I don't really need it.

Most definitely! As some of the other folks have explained, a piece of data may apply to multiple "projects" and the "sorting" mentioned by someone earlier would make that piece of data so much more valuable.

I would like to use "cloning" as exact copies that are synched so if one changes the other does also. The other is "replicating" where the original stays independent of the replicated. So that the replicated could modified/edited without changing the original.

Thank you for suggesting such an excellent feature.

Cloning/Aliasing would be great feature to add to 04 -- I just bought 03 recently and already in my first substantial outline I could really have used the feature several times.

Even a most basic cloning tool would be highly valuable for a structure which is pretty hierarchical, as some items will naturally refer to each other or make sense to be connecte in two parts of a tree structure.