The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

ad block in OmniWeb Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
You're right, it is a typo. It should have been /.*\.gif

So do you have to add those regular expressions one line at a time into the ad-blocking preferences?

Agree with above, you really need a user-friendly ad-blocking feature. I'm coming from Camino, and CamiTools lets you import filters with one click, and they work quite well.

Yes, one line at a time.

We definitely want to add importing (and exporting) to the ad-blocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
You're right, it is a typo. It should have been /.*\.gif
\.gif$ is just as good. Actually better since it terminates the match expression at the end of the line so wouldn't trigger on (e.g.) wedding.gifts

Guys, why does this have to be so complicated?

I kind of gave up on this after my original question a few weeks ago, but the announcement of 5.5 has made me look through the thread again, and the whole topic just seems to get more and more involved. I'm not a coder or developer, just a regular Mac user who wants my browser to work "out of the box". All this setting up strings or blacklists or whatever, sorry but I just don't have the time or inclination to learn it.

Everything else about OW is slick and smart. Why is ad-blocking so damn complex in comparison? :confused:

All I do is check Matching known ad sizes, From third-party sites and From blocked URLs. This gets the vast majority of the ads. It's super quick, and I really don't think it gets much easier.

If I find something that should be blocked but isn't, I right click on it and chose filter. If I find something that shouldn't be blocked but is, I click on it.

Seems pretty simple to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
All I do is check Matching known ad sizes, From third-party sites and From blocked URLs. This gets the vast majority of the ads. It's super quick, and I really don't think it gets much easier.

If I find something that should be blocked but isn't, I right click on it and chose filter. If I find something that shouldn't be blocked but is, I click on it.

Seems pretty simple to me.
If its that simple, then great, that's what I need. But what's all this stuff about filters, blocklists, regex (WTF?? :eek: ) and so on. Does your regular / casual user not have to worry about all that?

If not, then cool, but reading all this makes me think I'm just not going to get it working :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjedj
If its that simple, then great, that's what I need. But what's all this stuff about filters, blocklists, regex (WTF?? :eek: ) and so on. Does your regular / casual user not have to worry about all that?

If not, then cool, but reading all this makes me think I'm just not going to get it working :(
It all depends on how detailed you want to get. I do, on occasion, add my own stuff in. But that is pretty rare.

I use Omniweb from a long time, but since my old iBook G4 wasn't being able to pick up enough processing power for the memory hog which is OW (yeah, I like this browser but it consumes way much memory), I switched to Opera and I've been using it ever since very happy until I upgraded to the latest version that simply turned off all my keyboard shortcuts, which upset me to the point of making me switch back to OW.

So far, I've been enjoying it (it's very good and now I don't suffer more of sluggishness since I use a top of the notch MacBook Pro) but it's ad-blocking is annoying me. I was so used with the sleek way I could shut off almost any ads using Opera's "content blocking” that when I reach this 90's hacker way to block known ads I just get amused. How come the guys of Omni Group, makers of so many nice software can't create a smarter way to block ads, like an improved way of the content blocking available natively on Opera.

Last edited by kaarlows; 2008-08-11 at 06:50 PM..