The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus2 for iPad? [A: Someday; only the Mac app is going to v2 as of 1/2013.] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi All,

I've just been turned on to OmniFocus from a friend and am considering purchasing the app to get started. With OmniFocus2 just around the corner, is it better to wait or buy now? Will there be a new iOS app when OF2 is released or will OmniFocus for iPad be updated to support version 2 and keep the same name?

OmniFocus for iPad doesn't need to change to be compatible with OmniFocus 2 for Mac, and isn't slated for a major update this year. OmniFocus 2 for Mac attempts to bring the look and ease of use of the iPad version to the Mac.

The underlying database structure has not changed for OmniFocus 1 and 2. You will not need a new version of OmniFocus for iPad.

I have an old Core 2 Duo MacBook at home that can't run Mountain Lion and possibly can't run OmniFocus 2 either. I have a MacBook Pro at work that runs Mountain Lion and looks like it can use OmniFocus 2.

Because the database structure hasn't changed, it looks like I can use OmniPresence to sync my OmniFocus database to the cloud and then have it sync between OmniFocus 1 on my pre-Mountain Lion Mac at home and OmniFocus 2 on my Mountain Lion Mac at work.

I should also be able to use my current OmniFocus for iPhone and iPad to sync to that same database as well.

This sounds like this will be a seamless transition to the new version while maintaining compatibility with older versions. :-D

Hmm, does this mean that OF-2 requires Mountain Lion? Where does it say so on the webisite? That would be a bummer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoledb View Post
Hmm, does this mean that OF-2 requires Mountain Lion? Where does it say so on the webisite? That would be a bummer...
http://www.omnigroup.com/blog/entry/...of-omnifocus-2

In a response in the comments, Ken wrote:

We would appreciate feedback on this, of course, but current builds of OmniFocus 2 require Mountain Lion (OS X v10.8). It has a number of low-level features and fixes which make our development go faster, and also includes Notification Center which we’re using to display reminders about upcoming deadlines.
Doesn't take much of an imagination to get from there to the possibility of being forced to move to iOS 6 before too long. Neither prospect gladdens my heart... I wonder if this means that OO4 will also require Lion?

Definitely bummer! I wouldn't even be able to participate in the beta release for OF-2! I'm still on an iMac5,1 which doesn't run Mountain Lion, and I'm not ready yet to move onto a new desktop computer. Of course I could upgrade my MacBook Air to Mountain Lion, but then I'd be running two different OSX-versions *and* two different OF/OO versions. Not fun.

You can use OmniPresence to sync your OF database to the cloud. Then it can be read by OF1, OF2, or OF for iPhone and OF for iPad easily.

You'll just be missing the new OF2 features but you'll still have your data intact on OF1 if you sync all your iDevices or Macs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonng View Post
You can use OmniPresence to sync your OF database to the cloud. Then it can be read by OF1, OF2, or OF for iPhone and OF for iPad easily.
Unless I've missed something, not much has been said about the requirements and capabilities of OmniPresence, especially with respect to OmniFocus. I would be cautious about assuming that this is true...

Those who need OmniFocus to run on pre-Lion systems should be sending in their feedback to omnifocus@omnigroup.com. It may or may not make any difference, but at least it will be seen and logged, which is more than can be guaranteed for a forum post.

I am thinking that OmniPresence is the rebranding of the current Omni Sync Server option we have now.

It sounds like Mountain Lion users will have the option of hosting their own sync server.

OF1 users will have to stay with Omnigroup's hosted sync server.

The other option is to have your own Mountain Lion capable Mac running Mountain Lion and hosting your own sync server with OF2. Then your pre-Mountain Lion Mac and your iOS devices can sync to this private sync server.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonng View Post
I am thinking that OmniPresence is the rebranding of the current Omni Sync Server option we have now.
OmniPresence won't be used for OmniFocus. It syncs entire documents around and makes no attempt to merge changes made on two devices (it just bails and gives you multiple versions of your document which you can merge by hand), unlike OmniFocus which syncs individual edits and merges them automatically.

I go into more detail about OmniPresence in my blog post about our plans for this year, but briefly:

OmniPresence is a feature we're building which will automatically sync documents through a cloud server. It's designed to work with any app (not just ours), and it's not tied to a specific cloud server: you can use OmniPresence with our free Omni Sync Server, or host your own server, or use a company-provided server.

Quote:
It sounds like Mountain Lion users will have the option of hosting their own sync server.

OF1 users will have to stay with Omnigroup's hosted sync server.

The other option is to have your own Mountain Lion capable Mac running Mountain Lion and hosting your own sync server with OF2. Then your pre-Mountain Lion Mac and your iOS devices can sync to this private sync server.
OmniFocus 2.0 has the same sync options as OmniFocus 1 does: you can sync with our free Omni Sync Server, or you can host your own data on your own sync server or a company-provided server (using any Apache web server)—it already does now what OmniPresence will do for OmniOutliner and OmniGraffle and OmniGraphSketcher. You won't have to use any particular syncing service to be able to sync OmniFocus 2.0 with OmniFocus 1.x.

Sometime after we ship 2.0, we will start updating the data model again on all three platforms to add support for new features (such as project templates). At some point this will break the ability to sync with OmniFocus 1 since the older app won't understand the new data.