The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Strange login request popping up randomly Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
It only started happening within the past few weeks though I've been using SP Revision 128512 since it was released. This occurs on random pages while I'm surfing. It's a box with a login blank headed "This page requires a password." The text then reads: "Please enter a name and password for realm 'Sun Java System Web Server' on host www.washingtonpost.com." I've deleted the Washington Post bookmark and all its cookies and flushed the cache with no result. The popup blocker has no effect. And I have no idea what's causing this.

Just to note that I've switched back to v. 5.1.01 and still have the same problem. Since I didn't mention it in my OP, the problem does NOT occur on Firefox, Safari or Google Chrome, only on OmniWeb. So it's back in your court.

That last should have read "switched back to v. 5.10.1."

My guess is that there's a bookmark that points at their website, and the login window is appearing when we check that address for changed content.

If that's the case, the workaround would be to open bookmarks, select the washingtonpost.com one(s) and set "check for changes" to never.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for your response, Brian. There are two good reasons why this would not appear to be the cause of the problem: (1. I've deleted the Washington Post bookmark on OmniWeb but the problem continues and (2. I've never had the "check for changes" option enabled on any of my bookmarks.

I'm getting a similar thing. Foxtrot.com pops up a blanks window, in a new tab, with just "{"status":"SUCCESS"}" in it and an address of "http://wd.sharethis.com/api/setCache_ws.php". The created tab also grabs the focus. The issue is somehow related to the preference, "Links to other sites: open in a new tab" as it doesn't happen if I set a different action. Background windows are not popping up, as far as I've seen.