The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Does OmniGraffle finally resize text with drawings? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi all.

I gave up on this product years ago because text didn't resize with the rest of the drawing.

Has this finally been addressed?

Unfortunately the text still won't resize when scaling the containing box. This would be extremely useful. I can't tell you how much time I've spent manually resizing text after resizing an entire group of objects.

Copy and paste the object(s) as a PDF and resize the PDF. Double clicking the PDF will open the LinkBack version of the object(s) allowing you to edit them if you need to. The original object(s) can be deleted if necessary.

Thanks for the info, JKT, but that old kluge is simply not acceptable for a shipping final product.

One of the assumptions made by this app is that every object will likely have text, so I'm mystified as to how this scaling flaw made it into version 1, much less subsequent versions.

From an Omni staffer in another thread:

"If you guys use the "Send Feedback" item under the help menu, we can add votes to that feature for you - forum posts don't integrate as well into our request tracking system, unfortunately."

So apparently the best thing to do is to hammer them with requests on this.

Last edited by Stokestack; 2008-11-13 at 03:40 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokestack View Post
Thanks for the info, JKT, but that old kluge is simply not acceptable for a shipping final product.
You're making a lot of assumptions here, and also being a little pompous along with it.

This isn't a bug, it's a feature. If I want to increase the width of a button, I don't want it to stretch the copy along with it, I want it to remain wrapped.

What I believe you require is an OPTION to allow this; I would certainly be annoyed (along with most omnigraffle users) if all of a sudden resizing objects warped the text; however an option to enable this at the times required (much less common than my need for the copy to remain intact) would be nice.

Anyway, pasting as PDF (like using smartobjects in PS) isn't really an inconvenience in the vast majority of cases; in fact it has a lot of logic to it; you're essentially 'combining' the text/object together and therefore they will resize proportionally.

If this single feature is what's putting you off using omnigraffle I can only imagine you're using it for the wrong reasons anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartpie View Post
You're making a lot of assumptions here, and also being a little pompous along with it.

This isn't a bug, it's a feature. If I want to increase the width of a button, I don't want it to stretch the copy along with it, I want it to remain wrapped.

What I believe you require is an OPTION to allow this; I would certainly be annoyed (along with most omnigraffle users) if all of a sudden resizing objects warped the text; however an option to enable this at the times required (much less common than my need for the copy to remain intact) would be nice.

If this single feature is what's putting you off using omnigraffle I can only imagine you're using it for the wrong reasons anyway.
That's exactly right. I second your response completely.

1 Yes, they want an OPTION, not a change to the behaviour we all have had and enjoyed for many years.

2 I fail to appreciate the "difficulty" in:
• select all the Shapes you want to change from the Inspector/Selection tool
• type in the new dimensions for the Shape
• type ⌘+ or ⌘- to get the the text size desired
???
OR
• select the shapes individually (shift click) and then ...

The mind boggles

It's a drawing not, right, not a text layout tool.

Cheers

Last edited by DerekAsirvadem; 2010-10-09 at 08:02 PM..

Greetings,

At first this work around didn't make any sense to me. I could copy my objects as PDF and then paste them. Re-sizing worked great, but I lost all my magnets and could no longer ungroup, etc.

What I found is that I can copy just the individual text objects as PDF, paste them one-by-one back into my object, re-group it and the text will resize and I still have my magnets and an object made up of a group of objects. I can't edit the text any more, but for what I want to do, this will work!

Thanks for the hints that got me to a solution!

--
Dan Boehlke