The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Controls drawing off window when selected Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Little bug with pop up menus (? and other controls) on web pages. On the following page, if you select the pop up menu with the list of pages in the article (to the right of the title), select the first page, so that the control is still selected with a blue border. Now scroll down the page with a scroll wheel on the mouse, or using the window scroll bars (not space or the arrow keys), so that the control is off the top of the page. Now hit the space bar or the up and down arrows. The control gets drawn off the window at the top of the screen on top of the menu bar, rather than scrolling the page further.

http://arstechnica.com/articles/cult...ceshifting.ars

Confirmed; I can reproduce it as described. (5.5b1)

I've been running into this as well and have been meaning to report it.

I see this, actually, as an interesting UI dilemma. The crux of the dilemma is that the same keyboard controls are used to scroll the page as are used to change the value of form controls. When it's not clear whether focus should go to a control or to the whole page, where should it go? There are a variety of options (none of which includes showing a menu outside the window ;), although one option might be to scroll the window back up to show a control which has focus), and I'll bet some folks would view each of them as ideal.

Do Apple's accessibility UI guidelines address this?

Yeah, interesting focus dilemma and I don't know what/if there is a correct way.

Right now I'm typing in a text box. If I hit space, I expect a space. A pulldown is just another form element, so it seems natural that hitting space with the form element in focus would activate the form element.

But the drawing off the screen does seem like a bug.

I'm not sure about Apple's guideline's, but I know NeXT's old guidelines were not to put a popup in a scrollable view. The web played hell with all that...

You can reproduce this exact problem in Safari too.