The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Is there a "Next Action" view? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Wouldn't the ideal solution be that when you tap "Contexts" and get into context view, on the top it would display "all contexts" and downwards it would display @errands, @home, etc. this would occupy one line in the table view.
if one pressed the all contexts thing, every context would be laid out and sorted by name, much like the way it's done in phone book! :)

Just a thought from reading this thread. Where the decision is made to NOT include a feature on the main screen because it might scare new users, why not do what the ipod app and others do on the iphone -- allow users to add or remove things from the main screen by having an edit button. Then you can add some perspectives if you like, or remove those things you rarely use, etc. Just a thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igrok View Post
Just a thought from reading this thread. Where the decision is made to NOT include a feature on the main screen because it might scare new users, why not do what the ipod app and others do on the iphone -- allow users to add or remove things from the main screen by having an edit button. Then you can add some perspectives if you like, or remove those things you rarely use, etc. Just a thought.
My vote goes to that idea. I want to decide what's on the main screen; give me that power!

Sorry if my earlier post made it sound like the decisions or thinking that I was describing were final. My intent was to describe the thinking that lead up to what folks were seeing in the app as it stands today, not state a position about what it might do in the future.

Folks that want to customize the home screen (or see anything else changed) should, as always, use the button in Settings to send email to the support ninjas so we can record their requests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulocastaneda View Post
When I want to plan out my day, I want a view where I can see all the things I need to do in one screen, regardless of context. Setting contexts to show next action would still require me to click on each context to see what's in it.
We're fixing this in v1.2 of OmniFocus for iPhone: on any hierarchical list (Context or Project), you'll have the option of viewing "All Items".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
in v1.2 of OmniFocus for iPhone".
Ken, Can you comment on what else we might see in v1.2 if we promise not to hold you to it?

Sorry, but we can't get any more specific than "when it's ready".

Even if we get a promise from you today, someone new will join the internet tomorrow, and gosh only knows what they'll do with the info. :-)

that's great news ! thanks omni group : )

An "all items" view would be great... Sometimes you need to quickly scan all your active items regardless of project or context. Also, as flags are usefull for designating items you want to get done that day... I would love to see a way to quickly flag items instead of having to open up each individual item.

It's very handy to be able to have a quick look at everything and flag items that I'm going to try to get done in a given period of time, say, if you have a couple hours to run errands... You can flag a bunch and go.. You can still work out of contexts, you're just quickly filtering items that you can get down now...

If you could flag an item by swiping it... That would be fantastic...

Personally, I dump a lot of tasks into my desktop version of OF, then I run around with my iPhone actually doing things...I don't see how people can really "GTD" on the desktop app... besides the "computer" context... Do they keep running back to their computer to check what to do next? The usefullness of the iPhone client is critical for me. I also would love a couple different smart groups besides "due soon" and "overdue". I have a lot of tasks that don't really constitute a due date... They just need to get done although some are a higher priority than others.

Anyhow.. Thanks for listening...

Last edited by marshallj; 2009-01-28 at 06:24 PM..

I can't add much to what marshallj just posted other than to say that my workflow is similar to his. I use OF primarily in Project mode on the desktop to plan and review, and work out of OF on the iPhone when actually getting work done. I have started flagging non-dated items that I want to focus on today, but then I still have to bounce between 'due soon', 'overdue', and 'flagged' on the iPhone. While GTD doesn't endorse the idea of a today to-do list, a 'today' view that combines the the 3 views mentioned above would be helpful, and consistent with the GTD idea of putting day (and time) specific information on one's calendar.