The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OF 1.7 Perspective Problems Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb View Post
Just went from 161 to 1.7 rev 117233 and my Perspectives were lost.
I eventually managed to get 1.6.1 reinstalled and working. As there was an incompatability with the synced version on MobileMe I deleted it all from iDisk. I also had to delete the iPhone app as the sync from that caused a fatal error with 1.6.1. With that gone as well as the version held on MobileMe I was at long last able to restore the whole database from a backup prior to installing the sneak peak.

I would like to be able to work with both versions so that I can compare ease of use etc, but it has proved too problematic for me. I'm just pleased I'm back to where I was before I first installed 1.7.

Sandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
Besides the problems with loading 1.6.1 perspectives, documented here, there are several other issues with perspectives in 1.7, sneaky peek 117140:
  • There no longer seems to be any UI to control whether a perspective open in a new window or the current window by default. Perspectives from 1.6.1 remember that setting, but I don't see a way to change it.
  • The presence of the View Bar and side bar in a perspective are not remembered from 1.6.1. Resetting those, then saving the window back to the perspective, seems to get 1.7 to remember them, though not consistently.
  • Perspectives no longer remember the expand/collapse state of grouping headers, even with the Restore Expansion box checked. This renders my Tickler perspective worthless.
My use of perspectives relies on the last 2 of Curt's points. I didn't see these addressed by any Omni folk...perhaps I missed or misunderstood an answer to these? If not...are these being addressed as bugs or are they changes in the UI similar to Curt's 1st point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb View Post
Just went from 161 to 1.7 rev 117233 and my Perspectives were lost.
Removed .loaded and all my P's were imported using v. 117237.

Yes, same for me. The inability to remember the expand/collapse state is a big problem for me—it makes one of my perspectives virtually useless also. I know this will get fixed, but I hope it's soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellm View Post
Yes, same for me. The inability to remember the expand/collapse state is a big problem for me—it makes one of my perspectives virtually useless also. I know this will get fixed, but I hope it's soon!
Note I've found a way to get the expanded status "correct" - if you click on a perspective that is in project view if you're in context view (or vice versa), then upon returning, things are displayed correctly.

This also works for column headers.

There are obviously a number of rough edges around perspectives at the moment :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatOne View Post
Note I've found a way to get the expanded status "correct" - if you click on a perspective that is in project view if you're in context view (or vice versa), then upon returning, things are displayed correctly.
I'm unable to duplicate that. Can you give step-by-step directions to reproduce? I think I might be misinterpreting your "if inside and if" statement.

Curt

Curt, I don't know if this helps or not, but using the 'Projects' perspective as an example I have done the following:

1) Set the perspective to restore selection, expansion, and columns
2) Expand or collapse the folders to how I want them
3) Click 'Perspectives>Take Snapshot of Projects'

When I do this, the perspective and all expand/collapse states are remembered with one exception. If I quit OmniFocus in Projects perspective, when I relaunch OF all the folders are expanded. I can then select any other perspective, then select Projects again, and my desired folder state is restored.

Quote:
I'm unable to duplicate that. Can you give step-by-step directions to reproduce? I think I might be misinterpreting your "if inside and if" statement.
I have two perspectives:

One is "Work" where I am in context view, with a particular perspective selected, and the columns Context, Start, and Due visible.

Another is "Completed" which I use for a report. It is also in context view, but with "Completed" as the only visible column.

If I switch back and forth between these perspectives, the columns do not change: they are not updated properly.

If I toggle to another perspective between, though, one that is in project view, the columns _do_ update properly when going back to context view.

This same thing works for me with the expansion status of the contexts as well. There's obviously some code that's not being executed properly when switching between context-based perspectives, but flopping to a perspective in project view and back seems to trigger the proper refresh.

I just threw the "toggle" in my toolbar and confirmed that using the toggle to go from context view to project view and back (absent any perspectives) also updates the columns and expansion state.

Ah, what I'm missing is the expansion state of groups when using the group-by setting in the view bar. Toggling modes doesn't seem to help with that.

Curt

Quote:
Ah, what I'm missing is the expansion state of groups when using the group-by setting in the view bar. Toggling modes doesn't seem to help with that.
Ahhh... yeah I haven't noticed anything with groups just yet. Groups don't actually appear at all in context view, correct?