The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

More than Omnifocus!! My ideas for GTD Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
David Allen is fond of saying that there are two major things to think about for a project, namely, what "done" looks like and what "doing" looks like. That is, what is the desired outcome vs. what is the next action.

I notice that Omnifocus spends all its time focusing on next actions. Is it possible to add the ability to notate a project with what "done" looks like for that project? Or is the title for the project supposed to encapsulate that? I find it hard to be so pithy about some projects and want to use the project title as shorthand while remembering something more substantial about my vision or purpose for that project. It would be handy to keep that in the project.

Also, what I really need is an overall system that integrates projects and ALL associated materials and actions for that project.

Ideally, this would be:

Projects:
Reference:
technology
people
history
etc
Meeting Agendas
Actions:
history
Next Action

As you can see, OF handles only a small piece of the action. Just food for thought.

Hmmm....One of the things that I like about OmniFocus is that it DOES allow me to thinkl about what "done" looks like.

I put a project in my inbox as a placeholder and I leave it there until I figure out what done looks like. When successful, I have a project with multiple steps defined all leading up to what make that project complete.

In some cases, when something is fairly complex or "done" depends on too many unknowns, I put as the final step "fill out steps to completion in OmniFocus" with some date certain as a start date.

Between these two methods, I have kept a pretty good handle on "done."

With respect to the rest of your comment, I think OmniPlan is what you need. version 2 of OmniFocus is suppposed to have integration with OmniPlan, so you will have to wait for awhile before you are a happy camper.

I agree that a "project description" would be useful. You can do that today using the Note field, but as others have pointed out elsewhere, those notes don't show up in contexts. They also don't show up unless you select a project and then view the note.

I think it would be nice to hover over a project name on the left pane and see a popup that shows the complete project name and a description of the project.

On the "where to put the outcome" question, there is this thread (but no fully satisfactory solutions there...)

Awesome ideas, thanks, folks!