The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OMNI: Best Practices to reduce Sync Conflicts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Delete the corrupted OmniFocus.ofocus file from ~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus, then open OmniFocus and revert to a backup (default location for backups is ~/Documents/OmniFocus Backups). Then run the script as described here.

This did the trick for me.

Amen, I will also add that i had to dump my prefs so Sync would not start up.

I haven't been in the forum much as I thought 1.0.3 on the iPhone had sorted most issues. Then in the process of archiving old tasks I needed to restore from a backup datafile and wondered why restoring from backup took so long - a 4MB file of nearly a 1000 zips!

Instructions here got it back down to 1 zip and less than 100k.

Sounds like it's my 2 macs, one iPhone combination that's trouble.

I've had a hunt around for a thread that covers this - does anyone know if Omni have given an idea of when all the syncing/coalescing stuff will be sorted within the desktop app?

To my knowledge, they haven't told us when this problem is going to be sorted out.

In fact, the communication has gotten a bit quiet from Omni, lately.

Hopefully it will be solved soon!

Thanks for the reply beharkey.

Sneaky peak builds seem to be slowing down a bit - hopefully it's still a live issue...

After I used the clients display in the Sync preferences pane to eliminate a stale client, OmniFocus scrunched down my database from 4 MB to 1.4 MB and the zip file count went from a few thousand to a few hundred. Backup file size went from 8.4 MB to 2.5 MB. This is with 3 clients (all desktop).

Have a look at your clients display and see if there are some that shouldn't be there any longer. After that, keep all of the clients active for a few hours so they can do a couple of syncs and you should see some improvement. It just takes one client entry that is out of date to stop the compaction process from happening, because the other clients have to assume that client still exists and hasn't been synced. The compaction only happens when everyone is up to date.