The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Can’t download, help Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
hey guys, I'm sure this has been addressed on another thread but I can’t find it doing search or just scrolling through the forum so sorry if I'm bringing something up that’s been addressed ad nauseum.

I can’t download any of the sneaky peek versions. I click on the .dmg file at this page:

http://www.omnigroup.com/ftp/pub/sof...X/.sneakypeek/

and I just get a blank page with no download initiated. If I right click on the link and try to save it to my downloads folder, I get a 70 byte file.

I’m a huge fan of OW, but have been growing frustrated with it of late and am almost ready to leave it until 5.5 comes out, so I'd REALLY like to try these versions. Can someone tell me what’s going on here?

Thanks

What browser are you using to download the files? It works fine for me.

I've tried in both OW and FireFox. Get the same result in both, nothing. just tried it in Safari, it thinks it’s trying to do something with a gif file. I just right clicked on the link in Safari and selected ‘download linked file’ and it just downloaded “v597.dmg.gif”.

This ain’t working.

Last edited by rmathes; 2006-07-01 at 08:20 AM..

well I just downloaded the latest SP release using my wife’s PowerBook, then transferred the file to my machine, so I'm using SP16 now. But my machine still won’t download the link. Weird.

If anyone has ideas on why that is, I'd really appreciate hearing them.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmathes
well I just downloaded the latest SP release using my wife’s PowerBook, then transferred the file to my machine, so I'm using SP16 now. But my machine still won’t download the link. Weird.

If anyone has ideas on why that is, I'd really appreciate hearing them.

Thanks
You're not using Speed Download by any chance are you? I raised that in relation to another "won't work with X software" a while back. The SPs still don't work properly with Speed Download. If the file to be downloaded is on the same file tree as the page with the link, it works; if it isn't you get a blank page, for which the answer is to copy the URL open SD and add the URL manually.
Then there are sites I find which SD has problems with anyway, like Mariner Software's, or Adobe, where it will often only download a download.php file or similar. The other day, I found that that problem then persisted when I tried to download beta3 of Adobe Lightroom, so that Safari (with or without SD active), FF and Opera 9 only downloaded download.html until I restarted the machine.

Mark

Not sure if this is it, but this morning my work OW informed me that an update (SP17) was available. I clicked the button in the dialog to get the update, but from the page that loaded I got an error from the SP17 link.

However, when I went to what appeared to be the SAME page via this forum, it downloaded perfectly.

So someone should check by downloading from the "get the update?" dialog and see if it works ok.

So it was the same URL? I'm guessing it was. Chances are there was some network issues at the time.

Nope, not using speed download. I tried that thing once, downloaded SLOWER than without it.

I am using Privoxy, which is a web filter via proxy. I tried disabling it, and then via network settings turning off proxy altogether. Didn’t make a difference.