The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Call, Dictate, get Action in OFO? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

Has anyone set up capture that allows one to call a phone number, dictate text, and have that text show up as an Action in the Inbox? I would find this useful -- in essence, I'm trying to set up a hands-free capture from a car.

(Added: I have an iPhone, and the iPhone OFO app, but the BlueTooth interaction with the phone is limited to making calls.)

Thanks. 😊 .

I was driving my wife's car the other day (which also only supports BlueTooth for talk - not playing music). She tried to use Siri to add a reminder and Siri responded through the car audio system. OmniFocus can be set up to grab the Reminders from Siri (see this: http://www.omnigroup.com/blog/entry/...peaking_terms/)

Perhaps yours does too although I have no idea how well Siri would understand it coming through the car audio system.

If you try it, let us know how it works.

Last edited by dave256; 2012-12-11 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: fix typo

Siri works through my cars hands free as well.

There used to be a service called Jott that would let you call it and it would send you an email with a transcription of what you said. A service like that could be combined with OmniFocus Mail Drop. But if you can get Siri to record reminders over your bluetooth, that's probably simpler.

There's a thread somewhere here with numerous methods of accomplishing this task that I and others have tried. If you must have a phone number to call, Google Voice and voicemail may be your best bet
  • set it up to recognize the number you'll be calling from
  • send that number directly to voicemail
  • configure it to email you the transcript of voicemails
  • set up a Gmail filter to forward that to OF either by the new beta service or using some kind of email-to-text and AppleScript

If you don't need to be able to call a number and are on an iPhone, I highly recommend DropVox and AppleScript – won't give you the transcript of the dictation, but you'll get the message. Here's a post I wrote on it a while ago:
http://www.n8henrie.com/2011/06/drop...and-omnifocus/

I've since updated that workflow to use a shell script to upload the transcript to CloudApp and insert the URL into an action, keep sync times quicker than having to sync the actual audio files.