The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Is there a way to convert Action<->Project? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I find that sometimes when a project is complete, I'd like to change it to an action... and sometimes vice-versa. Can I do this?

peter

Converting an action to a project is simple enough: Just drag it from the main actions window over to the projects sidebar where you would like the project to appear, and it will become a project.

I don't think you can the other way, however (turning a project back into an action).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh View Post
I don't think you can the other way, however (turning a project back into an action).
Sure you can, just drag the project onto another project or a single-action list. It will become an action group. (If the project had no children, then it would become an action.)

Curt

A similar question: Is there a way to convert a Project to a single-action list, and vice versa? Admittedly, it's really easy to just create the new bucket and move all the actions, but it would be handy to have. I have a tendency to create Projects that I later realize are really just lists.

Gardener

In the inspector you can just click the filebox icon. Right? The choices there are sequential, parallel, and single action.

I'm setting things up now, so I'm constantly thinking that way...back and forth and back and forth...but I wouldn't have thought to look for it, unless I saw that visual on the iphone tutorial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
Sure you can, just drag the project onto another project or a single-action list. It will become an action group. (If the project had no children, then it would become an action.)
Well, look at that... Thanks for the tip.... When I tried it I was trying to drag the project into the actions window, which definitely doesn't work, and I guess I wasn't precise enough with drag in the project list, as I just ended up reorganizing the projects themselves. Now that you've explained it and I've tried it again, of course it makes perfect sense... :)

thanks jdh, curt, malisa - golden tips for this newbie! :-)

peter

OK - here's another...

how to turn a folder into a project and vice versa?

:-)

PETER

OK - here's another...

:-)

PETER

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemer View Post
OK - here's another...

I don't think that's possible directly. You could file a feature request for it using Help --> Send Feedback.

What should happen to the items inside a project if you turn it into a folder? Should all the items become projects in their own right? That seems like how it would have to work, since folders can only contain folders, projects, and single action lists. (In other words, folders cannot contain actions directly.)

Changing a folder into a project seems more straightforward; all the contained projects would become action groups.

Curt