The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MacSpeech Dictate Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Does anyone know whether this new voice recognition software will work with OF?

I read about it in the Wall St. Journal the other day, so went to their web site to check it out. It's not available yet.

I would expect Dictate to at least let you enter information in the selected text area. I have iListen 1.8 and you can use it in any Cocoa application. How well it will allow you to navigate around in any application is unknown until it is released. iListen was never accurate enough for it to be as fast as my typing (accounting for error correction time) so I only used it when my wrists were sore. I've heard great reviews from friends about Dragon Naturally Speaking on Windows so I'm optimistic that Dictate will be very good (for Dictate they licensed the speech recognition engine that Dragon Natural Speaking uses).

The dictation mode is working, but it seems you need to be able to create commands using scripts. Please let me know if you have become aware of any, or if you have any further information.

Laura

I have been using MacSpeech Dictate for quite a while, and just downloaded the newest version. (I'm using it right now to dictate this reply.) After seeing your question, I decided to try it with OmniFocus and it seems to work fine. I am able to add new tasks and to navigate. However, I will say that MacSpeech Dictate is, in my opinion, far better suited to more extensive text entry then I associate with OF. While it is great for entering a comment such as this, I find it rather cumbersome for entering information and very discreet packets. This is not a reflection on MacSpeech Dictate, which I find to be an excellent product, especially since they, as I understand it, leased of the engine from Nuance. Rather, everything I enter into OF tends to be short and sweet. I am far from an accomplished typist, but even I find it far quicker to enter information and navigate around Omnifocus using the keyboard than using my voice.

I hope this answers your question, but please let me know if you would like any additional information.