The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

lkg for advice on how to do a call list Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I want to use OF to manage a call list. I need to note calls: who I need to call and who has placed a call to me. Leftword: whom I've left word for. Returned: who has returned my call. Right now I have different projects consisting of: calls, calls:lw, calls:ret. All of them have the context of "calls."

Is there a better way?

Yes, make those into subcontexts of your calls context, rather than projects.

what are subcontexts? Also, I share the action with iCal todos. If I have more than one context, it may get confusing.

For complex juggling back and forth kind of tasks I keep a log in the notes field.

If the calls are to the same people you can set up a @people context with sub contexts for all the persons you most frequently call.

I also think you should not use projects as you do now, but use contexts instead. The calls you make/receive must be part of some kind of greater scheme no?

You can use a naming convention with indicators (like you have now lw/ret) in the task names. Instead of creating new tasks you can change the indikator. (Might be good to keep log in notes field if you do this).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllewis@mac.com View Post
what are subcontexts? Also, I share the action with iCal todos. If I have more than one context, it may get confusing.
Nested / hierarchical contexts.

@people
@Merlin
@David
Merlin and david are subcontexts to people.

All of my calls go in the "phone" context.

I think of my calls as being in one of two states: calls I can make now and calls I need to make later.

When I leave a message, the call becomes one I need to make later (if they don't call back), so I note that I've LMTC (left message to call) and set the start date for the item forward by when I expect them to call back.