The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Context or Project? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm having difficulty deciding whether certain things ought to be a project or a context

Supposing I want a reminder to make sure i'm doing something regularly? Like "Are you using the Nectar Point (It's a loyalty card if you don't know) website to earn points with online purchases?"

Are there pitfalls with having a project and context of the same name?

I can't help but feel like I'm missing the point here

Cheers

Ha. Very clever.

Shavenraver, one of the tenets of 'canonical' GTD is that projects must have a defined outcome. However, I still find it useful to have a couple of non-terminating projects in my database. For me, it's mostly my "Health" project with a variety of things like "take vitamins", "drink water" and so forth in the project as repeating actions.

If pressed to defend my practice by someone who is more hardcore about GTD than I am, I plan to offer the explanation that the project will terminate when I'm no longer around to check the actions off. ;-)

Hope that helps!

Ha ha 'Project Brian' so to speak

So, out of interest, what are the contexts for things like 'Take Vitamins' and 'Drink Water'?

I guess there is no absolute reason to have a context built in to every entry in OF. e.g. I have a 'Films to watch' single action project - I can't think of any other context than "What film could I watch?".

Is that really necessary though? Were I to get movies exclusively from Blockbuster then @Blockbuster could work

'tenet' 'canonical' - two very nice words btw

The drink water/take vitamins project is called "Health".

For a project like "watch movies", I'd probably assign it to a context like "Home". I'd probably put the "rent a movie" action in Blockbuster, but I wouldn't watch it there. :-)

I'd probably write this as something like:

Project: Form habit of using Nectar card.
Next Action: List Nectar-qualifying purchases for next week. (Repeating, Weekly, Fridays, context Home or Computer or whatever seems appopriate.)

Or, of course, whatever other action I thought would help me form the habit. Another possible task might be writing a list of Nectar-qualifying brands for normal everyday purchases and keeping it in my wallet every time I shop.

(Edited to note: Oh. _Online_ shopping. Well, you get the idea, anyway. :))