The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Group Tasks Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Dear everyone,

I will first start by introducing myself as Amit, a new user of Omnifocus and I absolutely love this software. It has enabled productivity to a whole new level!

I'm still learning some of the amazing features, but I wanted to ask if something is possible. I have the following setup:

Folder
- Folder
- Project
- Task A
- Task B
- Task C
- Task D
- Task E
- Folder

I want to group Task A-C (because they are related), but I do not want to include Task D or E, because they are for the same project, but not related to Task A. Task A-C are not dependent on each other; they're just related.

I want to avoid:

Project A
- Task A
- Task B
- Task C
Project B
- Task D
- Task E

I want to avoid this and just "group" my tasks. Is this possible? If so, how?

Thanks and any thoughts/help will be appreciated!
Best regards,
Amit

OmniFocus has the concept of Action Groups, which are sort of like miniature projects within other projects (or action groups). To make one, just indent the grouped tasks under the parent task via the Edit->Outlining->Indent command (command-]) or select a bunch of tasks and use Edit->Outlining->Group to make them into a group. You have your choice of parallel or sequential execution for the group, set by selecting the group's parent and opening the Inspector, or by clicking on the arrows in the outline view.

I made a pair of sample projects with action groups.

The first project has a parallel action group at the front, but is otherwise sequential. I need to run some errands before I can paint the room, but once I have accomplished the errands (which can be done in any order), the remaining steps must be done in sequence.

The second project has a sequential action group at the front, but is otherwise parallel. Building the model airplane must be done in the sequence shown, but I can choose to work on building the airplane or one of the other recreational activities in any order.

Dear whpalmer4 - that is absolutely brilliant. An amazing response and that seriously makes life so much easier. Thanks so much for the screenshot as well!

I love this product and I'm loving the forums too! Thanks again - very much appreciated!